Bill:
Thanks for the note on rudder skulling. I used to skull my Rumba that way so
I'll try it on Sweet Dream this weekend.
I looked at the "Tilly" skulling rudder made for inflatables. This is a
"clamp on" devise that looks like a small M-15 rudder. It's spring loaded
and you move the tiller handle back and forth like rudder skulling but the
spring loaded rudder does a better job. I had a link but its gone. They
advertise in the back of Sailing mag. or you can search for them on the net.
I had considered one as a back-up for the Honda
Fair winds
Don Ludlow M15 #620

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 7:39 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 8, Issue 42


Send montgomery_boats mailing list submissions to
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can reach the person managing the list at
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of montgomery_boats digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Length of M17 on Trailrite Trailer (Bill Sylvester)
   2.   Re:Yet another method of propulsion,  hand powered outboard
      (Paul Bailey)
   3. Fw: electronic navigation and RDF (MC  Carpenter)
   4. Radios on board (MC  Carpenter)
   5. Re:  Re:Yet another method of propulsion,  hand powered
      outboard (Rusty Knorr)
   6. Re: C'mon, join the Pardey! (Rusty Knorr)
   7. Length of M17 on Trailrite Trailer (Honshells)
   8. New Old M-17 (Honshells)
   9. Re:  Re:Yet another method of propulsion,  hand powered
      outboard ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  10. Re:  Re:Yet another method of propulsion,  hand powered
      outboard ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  11. RE: Filling 2 HP Hondas (Ludlow, Don)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:47:46 -0800
From: Bill Sylvester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Length of M17 on Trailrite Trailer
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed

Mine is 234 inches from the last upright under the bunk to the tip of 
the tounge.  The stern of the  boat hangs over 34 inches behind that 
for a total of 268 inches total.

Bill
Endelig
M-17 #279

On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 07:40  PM, Honshells wrote:

>
> Does anyone know the lenth of the M17 on a stock Trailrite trailer, 
> from the tip of the trailer tongue to the
> stern of the boat?
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>



------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:52:21 -0800
From: Paul Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M_Boats:       Re:Yet another method of propulsion,  hand powered
        outboard
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed

I'm pretty sure I've found a picture and description of the hand powered 
outboard.
Go to :
        
http://www.acbm.us/passion-for-outboards.htm

and scroll down to about the third picture.....Hmmm.... this one has a 
crank, it looks like, and
not a  'pump handle'  tiller: there surely could have been more than one 
such thing.

-Paul Bailey  M-15 Sassea




On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 08:40 PM, montgomery_boats-
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 5:52 AM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Yet another method of propulsion
>
> My dad has a manual outboard engine-essentially a gearbox on a shaft, 
> with a
> big, slow turning prop.  You pump its tiller up and down to make it 
> go.  It's
> over thirty years old, and I've never used it, but it fascinated me as a
> child.  It's very light; even an 8 year old can pick it up.  If I get a 
> chance,
> I'll try it on our P-15, but beware:  I'm building Michalak's 14 ft 
> Piragua
> canoe, which is taking all my boating time.  The good news is, I have 
> about two
> more coats of epoxy and painting to complete it.  Wahoo!
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve Tyree, P-15 #2098 "Amy Ann"
> --



------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:33:01 -0500
From: "MC  Carpenter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M_Boats: Fw: electronic navigation and RDF
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="iso-8859-1"


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "MC Carpenter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 4:01 PM
Subject: electronic navigation and RDF


> what happened to all those electronic navigation devices.
>
> There was Loran A
> then Loran C don't know if there was B,
> Omega seemed like it was everywhere.
> Sat-Nav when did that stop.
> Is Decca still around
> now GPS
>
> Is the RDF stations still out there in U.S. cause I have not seen a RDF
> receiver advertised for a while??? I know they still are in French South
> Pacific islands.
>



------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 01:31:08 -0500
From: "MC  Carpenter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M_Boats: Radios on board
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="iso-8859-1"

Does the Coast Guard still have radio beacons which you can find your way
using a RDF receiver?



------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 01:03:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Rusty Knorr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats:  Re:Yet another method of propulsion,  hand
        powered outboard
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

That is fantastic! Thanks for the post, Paul. I am a
bike mechanic at REI in Seattle and now I am thinking
I need to fabricate something with a bike crank, a
chain, a prop...  I should probably just overhaul my
outboard! Is IS a very intriguing idea though.
Hmmmmm...

                               -Rusty



--- Paul Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I've found a picture and description
> of the hand powered 
> outboard.
> Go to :
>
http://www.acbm.us/passion-for-outboards.htm
> 
> and scroll down to about the third
> picture.....Hmmm.... this one has a 
> crank, it looks like, and
> not a  'pump handle'  tiller: there surely could
> have been more than one 
> such thing.
> 
> -Paul Bailey  M-15 Sassea
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 08:40 PM,
> montgomery_boats-
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> 
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 5:52 AM
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Re: M_Boats: Yet another method of
> propulsion
> >
> > My dad has a manual outboard engine-essentially a
> gearbox on a shaft, 
> > with a
> > big, slow turning prop.  You pump its tiller up
> and down to make it 
> > go.  It's
> > over thirty years old, and I've never used it, but
> it fascinated me as a
> > child.  It's very light; even an 8 year old can
> pick it up.  If I get a 
> > chance,
> > I'll try it on our P-15, but beware:  I'm building
> Michalak's 14 ft 
> > Piragua
> > canoe, which is taking all my boating time.  The
> good news is, I have 
> > about two
> > more coats of epoxy and painting to complete it. 
> Wahoo!
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Steve Tyree, P-15 #2098 "Amy Ann"
> > --
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
>
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


=====
"In a power boat you may get there faster,
 but in a sailboat you are already there."


__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Exclusive Video Premiere - Britney Spears
http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/


------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 01:12:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Rusty Knorr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats: C'mon, join the Pardey!
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Hey, Connie.
  Wow, thanks for the warning! I have no stopper knot
but I am putting one in tomorrow before I take the
boat out for its maiden "paddle." This sounds serious,
what is the result of not doing it? I hear a lot of
discussion on the group about center board problems,
what should I look for? I have the boat in a slip, is
my CB going to rust away and disintegrate?! Will it
soon be locked away in the trunk forever?! Will it
drop out the bottom never to be seen again?! I need
all the info you can spare, Connie! Help!

                              -Rusty

PS: I don't even know what my CB is MADE of!
--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi Rusty,
> 
> Word of warning!!!
> 
> Do you have a knot in the centerboard pennant?
> 
> There is no stop when you drop the centerboard, so
> the proper way to do
> it is to carefully lower your CB till you feel it
> touch the CB case;  now
> pull up a few inches on the pennant and put in a
> stopper knot.
> 
> At this point when you lower the CB, the stopper
> knot will keep the CB
> from bottoming out on the CB trunk.
> 
> A safety precaution that every new M15 owner has to
> know.
> 
> Happy sailing
> 
> Connie
> 
> _______________________________________________
>
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


=====
"In a power boat you may get there faster,
 but in a sailboat you are already there."


__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Exclusive Video Premiere - Britney Spears
http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/


------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:39:13 -0500
From: "Honshells" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M_Boats: Length of M17 on Trailrite Trailer
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>


Thanks, Bill!  --Craig

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Sylvester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 11:47 PM
Subject: Length of M17 on Trailrite Trailer

Mine is 234 inches from the last upright under the bunk to the tip of
the tounge.  The stern of the  boat hangs over 34 inches behind that
for a total of 268 inches total.

Bill
Endelig
M-17 #279

On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 07:40  PM, Honshells wrote:

Does anyone know the lenth of the M17 on a stock Trailrite trailer,
from the tip of the trailer tongue to the
stern of the boat?





------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:41:13 -0500
From: "Honshells" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M_Boats: New Old M-17
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>


Excellent!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Sylvester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 11:39 PM
Subject: New Old M-17

I had a diver clean the bottom and he really worked at freeing up the
centerboard.  He said it was rusted in solid for about three inches
into the trunk.  He was able to clean most of the rust out and told me
he could move it a bit side to side.
She came up on the trailer with no complaints.  You Montgomerians were
right.

Thanks

On Thursday, October 30, 2003, at 07:31  PM, Honshells wrote:

Did you get it on the trailer with the lowered centerboard okay, Bill?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Sylvester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 4:32 PM
Subject: New Old M-17

Finally have "Endelig" (M-17 #279) in my driveway.  The restoration
has started.  My first task after cleaning all of the "stuff" out of
the boat was to clean the cushions of the Master Suite.  I noticed that
the walls of the sleeping area are separated from the hull.  Reaching
under the bed, I found the wall sealed from underneath.  What is in
there? Floatation, air, treasure?
How much space is there between the inner wall and the hull?

I have a lot to learn and a lot of curiosity about my new old boat.

Thanks,

Bill





------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:29:07 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: M_Boats:  Re:Yet another method of propulsion,  hand
        powered outboard
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

This motor has many similarities.  The main difference is that the gear 
housing at the top on my Dad's is perpendicular, thus the curve faces fore
and aft.

I plan to bring it up to our place today to get digital pics.

Steve Tyree, P-15


In a message dated 10/30/2003 10:53:01 PM Central Standard Time, 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I'm pretty sure I've found a picture and description of the hand powered 
outboard.
Go to :
                    http://www.acbm.us/passion-for-outboards.htm

and scroll down to about the third picture.....Hmmm.... this one has a 
crank, it looks like, and
not a  'pump handle'  tiller: there surely could have been more than one 
such thing.

-Paul Bailey  M-15 Sassea
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/private/montgomery_boats/attachm
ents/20031031/c69e3fc7/attachment-0001.html

------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:31:47 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: M_Boats:  Re:Yet another method of propulsion,  hand
        powered outboard
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Rusty, I've been a bike nut and gear head since I was a little tyke.  There 
are definitely connections between self propulsion on land and sailing!

Steve Tyree

In a message dated 10/31/2003 3:04:32 AM Central Standard Time, 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
That is fantastic! Thanks for the post, Paul. I am a
bike mechanic at REI in Seattle and now I am thinking
I need to fabricate something with a bike crank, a
chain, a prop...  I should probably just overhaul my
outboard! Is IS a very intriguing idea though.
Hmmmmm...

                               -Rusty
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/private/montgomery_boats/attachm
ents/20031031/b3ef62d0/attachment-0001.html

------------------------------

Message: 11
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 07:33:23 -0600
From: "Ludlow, Don" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M_Boats: RE: Filling 2 HP Hondas
To: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'"
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="iso-8859-1"

Connie:
I like the one quart oil container idea. Is this one of the rectangular
plastic containers that you typically buy motor oil in? I would have thought
that when the gas warms up, the container would ballon up but I'll try it.
Perfect for motoring back in on a day trip. You are right, several will fit
in the sail locker and would hold just the right amount for a single
filling. It's difficult to see the level in the black honda gas tank
interior as you're pouring gas in (leaning over the side as the boat bounces
in the chop). On a longer trip, the 3 galon Tempo with a squeeze bulb would
work. I think Doug metioned using something like that on the Key West trip.

One a side note: How about a report on the Annapolis Rendevous guys, And
pictures.
Fair winds
Don Ludlow M-15 #620 Sweet Dream
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 7:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 8, Issue 38


Send montgomery_boats mailing list submissions to
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can reach the person managing the list at
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of montgomery_boats digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. RE: gas cap air vent (Smith, Tom)
   2. Intro.... (The Tentmakers)
   3. Re: Intro.... (Mark Escovedo)
   4. Re: any diesel expert available ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
   5. Re: Intro.... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
   6. Re: any diesel expert available ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
   7. Re: C'mon, join the Pardey! (wayne yeargain)
   8. Re: Gas filling.. (wayne yeargain)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:39:21 -0800
From: "Smith, Tom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: M_Boats: gas cap air vent
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID:
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="iso-8859-1"

I've mentioned this in the past, but since we're on the subject of Honda 2s,
the air vent will clog up sometimes too (especially if you keep your boat in
the water for extended periods with motor attached), resulting in the engine
starving out for lack of fuel.  I've gotten into the habit of taking my cap
apart mid-season and cleaning the airway of spider webs and dust and gunk.  



Tom Smith & Jane Van Winkle
Sandpoint, Idaho
M15-345, Chukar
M17-064, Unnamed




------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:34:07 -0700
From: "The Tentmakers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M_Boats: Intro....
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/private/montgomery_boats/attachm
ents/20031029/3904c721/attachment-0001.html

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 10:22:09 -0800
From: "Mark Escovedo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Intro....
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Hello Gloria and Dale'

Welcome back to the fold.
I would say you're 71 years young by the sound of it.
Sail on!

Mark Escovedo
"Chunky Dory"
M17 F/D #103

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: The Tentmakers 
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
  Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 9:34 AM
  Subject: M_Boats: Intro....


  Hi folks.  We're Dale and Gloria Lilly.  We own M17 #038 [1974] which has
been redone a bit including new mast and boom.  She's got the galley and
we've added to that making her only capable of sleeping two.  She's red with
an off-white superstructure [I guess you can call it that on a 17' boat].
Dale is pastor of the San Carlos Community Church in San Carlos, Sonora,
Mexico.  We're on the Sea of Cortez and are here about 8 months each year.
We have another sailboat iln the US [Idaho].  We're old [72 shortly] and
have been sailing for about 43 years.  We owned a M17 in the 1990's but let
her go.  We're glad to have her back.  At our age ... and enjoying
trailering all over the US, she's all the boat we need and can comfortably
handle. Craig asked if we had digital pics.  No ... maybe later.   If you
get down to San Carlos, give us a call at 226-1553.



  H. Dale Lilly and Gloria L. Lilly
  San Carlos Community Church 


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
  Send instant messages to anyone on your contact list with MSN Messenger
6.0. Try it now FREE! 


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--


  _______________________________________________
  http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/private/montgomery_boats/attachm
ents/20031029/2e56c50a/attachment-0001.html

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:58:21 -0500
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: M_Boats: any diesel expert available
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED],[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Hi MC

Many years ago I had a 25 foot Norwegian double ended fishing boat type
built in Norway. We took delivery in Rotterdam, Netherlands, and then
went from Rotterdam via inland waterways to Belgium, France and finally
to the Seine in Paris, where we lived at that time.  (140 locks almost
all hand operated!)

The boat had a SABB 10 HP single cylinder diesel with a variable pitch
prop.

A variable pitch prop is HEAVEN!  It is total control under all
situations.

Going up the Meuse River in Belgium, we'd have to wait for a lock to
open.  You just throttle back to idle;  pflumpf - pflumpf - pflumpf goes
the diesel, and you hold your position in the river current by gently
giving it a bit of forward pitch or, if moving to much, just go back to
flat pitch, .........and wait a bit.

I have been mourning for my variable pitch prop ever
since.....................

But, how do you plan to mount the engine and get the shaft out with the
centerboard trunk in the way?

Connie  


------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:05:50 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Intro....
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Dale and Gloria,

Welcome to the list.  You live in a great sailing location.  I trailered
Miss 
T (M17 # 372) there this past June for 10 days sailing north out of San 
Carlos. While it was very HOT, there was almost no humidity and there were
always 
good mid-day sailing winds.  I wish I had known you were there, we could
have 
gone sailing together. Oh well, San Carlos is on my list of "go back to"
places 
so we may be able to sail the next time.

Fair Winds
John Edwards
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/private/montgomery_boats/attachm
ents/20031029/5ff0692a/attachment-0001.html

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:04:14 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: M_Boats: any diesel expert available
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

The shaft should slide out the back, not fwd into the cabin.  Also, neither 
the motor or prop have to be put in the centerline.  I had a 32' sharpie
ketch 
with offset 30 hp Atomic 4 engine and centerline shaft/prop.  The motor 
wouldn't fit on centerline because of the mizzen mast. It was chain driven
just like 
a bicycle and worked fine.  Another 42' gaff ketch had both 60 hp Chris
Craft 
engine and prop off center.  Built new back in 1934 this way.  It isn't the 
most efficient setup but I couldn't tell the difference when motoring.  

Bill P.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/private/montgomery_boats/attachm
ents/20031029/2e31cd20/attachment-0001.html

------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:59:49 -0600
From: "wayne yeargain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats: C'mon, join the Pardey!
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="iso-8859-1"

Hi Bill
Enjoyed your account of rudder sculling your Monty 15. Might be intresting
to you to know I too have used this technique
on occasion on my M17 & it does work, however as the weight of a boat  goes
up the effect goes down proportianally.
I have even used it on my previous boat a Hunter 23 which weigs in at #2500
.
Regards

Wayne
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill & Gigi Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 9:56 PM
Subject: Re: M_Boats: C'mon, join the Pardey!


> I've been lurking on the list, for some time, enjoying the questions and
> answers, and especially the friendliness and helpful attitudes.
>
> I thought I'd drop in and mention how easy it is to scull the '15' with
> its rudder.  By rhythmically flipping the rudder from side to side, it's
> very easy to propel the boat forward.  I discovered this the very first
> time I took my boat out, which happened to be in the San Juaquin delta.
>  My 2 horse Honda died just as I left the marina and entered the main
> channel.  The current immediately caught me and was carrying me toward a
> low bridge and I didn't have time to get the sails up.  Out of
> desperation, I started pumping the tiller back and forth and, lo and
> behold, I started moving against the current.  I sculled the boat about
> a quarter mile against a slow but relentless current and got back into
> the marina.  At that point, without the current, I probably could have
> pulled a skier or two.  Fear does that to a person.
>
> Since then, I often maneuver into and out of slips and away from docks
> using this rudder sculling technique.  To move forward just flip the
> tiller rapidly from side to side and as far as possible each way, with a
> very slight hesitation at the end of each stroke.  To turn to port, flip
> the rudder rapidly to the port side and return it slowly to the the
> starboard side and repeat.  You'll be able to turn the boat almost on a
> dime.
>
> I discovered that first day of sailing my "15" that I hadn't opened the
> gas valve on the outboard, and it died as soon as it consumed the
> thimbleful of gas in the carb.  Now, that's on my checklist of
> pre-launch tasks.  Also, that day, I realized how easy it would be to
> lose the gas cap on the Honda motor.  Fortunately, I didn't lose it, but
> I figured I had better do something before I did.  I bought a plastic
> spring loaded clip (like you would use for clipping papers or a small
> towel on the wall) and attached it with double sided tape to the motor
> case.  When you remove the gas cap, you just clip it to the motor with
> the clip and it stays put.  Later, I got a more substantial clip and
> mounted it with screws, but the original one lasted two years or so.
>
> We're Bill and Gigi Day and we bought our boat new in 1986.  It's number
> 363, but we've never named it.  We jokingly call it "das boot", but
> don't really want that as an official name.  After reading this list and
> seeing all the clever boat names, I've decided that I must soon name the
> boat lest it develop a complex.  When we settle on something, the list
> will be the first to know.
>
> We sailed mostly in the delta, San Francisco Bay and many northern
> California lakes.  We enjoyed camping on the boat or guesting in marinas
> and yacht clubs.  We belonged to the Potter Yachters, and also the
> Lakeville Yacht Club.
>
> About 6 years ago, we moved to Houston, Missouri.  If you can find
> Houston on a map (it's only half a dot, and one of those places Rand
> doesn't even tell McNally about), you'll see that it's the farthest
> place in Missouri from any body of water.  We can drive a couple of
> hours, though, and be at some pretty nice lakes.  Most of the lake
> traffic is power boats, and as a sail boat, we're pretty much a novelty.
>  I don't know how many times I've been asked what makes it go, and how
> can it sail into the wind.  When I explain, I usually get, "Whooeee!
>  What won't they think of next!"
>
> I'll look forward to participating in the discussions on the list.  In
> my years of sailing the '15' I've made every mistake possible (repeating
> some two or three times), so I'm a treasure trove of bad experience.  In
> a future message (this one's already too long) I'll relate my adventure
> of picking my boat up at the factory.  It's one of those events that
> wasn't too much fun at the time, but is funny to look back on.
>
> Bill & Gigi Day
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>



------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:13:28 -0600
From: "wayne yeargain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Gas filling..
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Hi Jan
Glad to hear you have a Omega, I have one also, great little boat mines a
'78, also have a Sunfish of indeterminate age, and a '76 M17.
Sometimes if i'm going to a place where I know there is little wind (most
state parks for example) I'll take the Omega, it does well in light winds.

Regards

Wayne 
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Debaene 
  To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats 
  Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 9:26 AM
  Subject: Re: M_Boats: Gas filling..


  We have one of those gas cans described below. It is wonderful! Never,
ever spilled gas anymore! The only downside is that it doesn't work on cars,
only on lawnmowers or other similar gas tanks.

  Jan Paul Debaene

  Capri Omega 14 (dreaming of a Montgomery)

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

    Hi.  We're new to the list ... own a 1974 Montgomery 17 that has been
restored and has some improvements.  I noted the item about filling tanks on
small motors:  Briggs and Stratton makes [or made] a one gallon can with a
patented fill tube that shut off automatically when the receiving tank was
full.  No muss .. no fuss .. no bother.  I think they are still available at
good lawnmower shops etc.



    H. Dale  and Gloria L. Lilly
    San Carlos Community Church 


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surf and talk on the phone at the same time with broadband Internet
access. Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month.* 
    *Depending on the local service providers in your area. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
  


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--


  _______________________________________________
  http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/private/montgomery_boats/attachm
ents/20031029/c428cff9/attachment.html

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
montgomery_boats mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


End of montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 8, Issue 38
***********************************************


------------------------------

_______________________________________________
montgomery_boats mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


End of montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 8, Issue 42
***********************************************

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to