I don't have the water in my bilge, but now I'm worried that my pivot and stop-pin 
holes could allow moisture
to my steel ballast!  Legitimate concern, anyone?

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 5:45 PM
Subject: Bilge Water

Greetings Listers,

I am presently dealing with a problem with my M23 which could also apply to the M17. 
Mid summer I started
taking a small quantity of water into my bilge, enough to pump out, which had never 
been the case the previous
season. My boat slip is 75 miles away so usually it sits in the water for a week 
before I have time to visit
and sail. The water amount would vary, but it finally got to the point where I 
installed a Rule automatic
bilge pump. The way the M23 centerboard trunk is constructed is there is a chamber at 
the rear of the keel
which can collect any water which finds its way inboard and then can be manually 
pumped out. There is no path
between the swing keel cavity and the bilge. Well, it seems that there is enough wear 
in the stop pin to keel
to allow a small amount of water to gravitate up through the laminations in the keel 
to vent inside the hull,
then it flows aft and into the bilge area. My M23 is in the slings right now with the 
stop and hinge pins
removed and it is apparent this is the leak path.
So, the solution we have arrived at is to enlarge the pin holes, contruct small 
"sleeves" of
epoxy/graphite/fiberglass material to form the bearing surface of the stainless pins. 
These will be glassed
back into the keel and provide a stronger support for both the pins. At the same time, 
the swing keel is being
cleaned and repainted.
Now, the M17 swing keel functions in the same general manner, but there is no access 
to the keel bilge area on
the M17. Has anyone installed a small access hole/port into the liner on their 17 to 
view/ pump water that has
somehow found its way into that area? It seems by tapping that the aft portion of the 
M17 keel is hollow. I
would like to check my M17 to see if there is indeed water trapped below the liner.
When I have taken water before in my 17, it would seem to flow toward the transom and 
I could use my whale
handheld to pump it overboard.
Anyone out there with a wet M17 on the inside?

Winter is on its way to Minnesota, 29 degrees for a high on Thursday.

Later,

Bones



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to