greetings Bones!

" Has anyone installed a small access hole/port into the liner on their 17
to view/ pump water that has somehow found its way into that area? It seems
by tapping that the aft portion of the M17 keel is hollow. I would like to
check my M17 to see if there is indeed water trapped below the liner."
> Bones

I have done the exact procedure you are asking about, and it has given me
absolute confidence that my M17 will survive the Minnesota winters. follow
this link for full info...
http://msog.org/how-to/centerboard/cbrepair_johnson.cfm
While winterizing, I was able to inspect the keel sump in my boat to check
for any water penetration.  In the past my boat has leaked for the
keel/trunk joint as well as the bottom gudgeon.  Both leaks deposited into
this normally inaccessible keel area. A section of garden hose duct taped to
a shop vac can suck out any water, and I added 50% antifreeze solution for
antifreeze as well as corrosion protection.  The easiest way to gain this
function is to drill a hole along the trunk that matches a plumbers' plug to
seal it during normal use.  I'll gladly help with any specifics if I am
able.
good luck,
Martin
Duluth, MN
Sunflower, M17 1976 #218


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to