The safest, most reliable way I've found to reef or change sails is to heave 
to first.  That means backing the jib, letting the main run free, and putting 
the tiller down hard to leeward.  You do indeed need a tiller tamer of some 
sort.  I use a heavy duty bungy stretched across the stern cleats and a jam 
cleat forward on the underside of the tiller.  Works great.  Amy Ann will heave to 
nicely under main and jib, main alone, jib alone, or all sails down!  I think 
this is due in part to her high bow and exaggerated shear.

I was out in our P-15 Sunday under similar conditions.  At times I was way 
overcanvased with working jib and reefed main in an effort to tag along with 
20-30' racing yachts (silly me).  I found it took more skill than I had to keep 
the Potter moving swiftly in the force 6, choppy conditions.  Lesson learned:  
It's your average speed, not your top speed, that counts.  I believe the Monty 
15 would be easier to handle and make speed consistently under these 
conditions.  Comments, anyone?

I've got another question, too:  Which is preferrable on the M-15, a loose 
footed main or one that is connected to the boom via bolt rope?  What are the 
advantages and disadvantages?

Steve Tyree, P-15 #2098 "Amy Ann"


In a message dated 3/22/2004 11:20:29 PM Central Standard Time, 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Hi Don,
I've used auto pilots (larger boats) when reefing and prefer it over most any 
other method with exception of a crew. I can say from experience with the 
Potter 15, it was nearly unsafe to attempt to reef when the winds picked up. 
It 
was always better to reef at the dock for fear of getting knocked down and 
turtled. I did put on a Davis Tiller Tamer which helped a great deal but with 
the 
P-15, it was all to easy to lean a little and being "moveable ballast", 
change 
the heading, creating myself a problem.
Have you installed a tiller tamer on Sweet Dream? It's a quick and 
innexpensive modification that may be easier to deal with than electric 
autopilot.
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to