Tod, I agree with your 10 deg opinion altho it could easily be 15 deg in some conditions.
What is this about loading some weather helm into the equation - I always thought a slight weather helm to neutral was best to avoid rudder drag! Are you saying that give all other trim to be optimum that a moderate weather helm helps you point better than a light weather helm? Thanks Doug --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: > Mike, > > My guess is that having the board up loses you a > good ten degrees. And, I > found while sailing with John Edwards how important > it is to load the (big) > rudder up too with some weather helm. > > That said, I doubt a 17 could do as well as a good > deep fin keeler like a > J24 no matter what. > > Tod > > -----Original Message----- > From: > [EMAIL PROTECTED] > [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] > On > Behalf Of MC > Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 7:05 PM > To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats > Subject: M_Boats: For the fun of racing fast fans on > the list > > > point vs. speed. and is 40 degrees really possible > > This afternoon I watched from the shore line two > small sailboats racing each > other. (outside Tampa Bay) One was a Monty 17 > (looked like a reddish or > dark orange stripe, bright sun ! ) the other looked > like a Hunter 22. both > had about the and speed but the Hunter was > constantly able to point higher, > But why should that be. Not being able to talk to > the skippers I do not know > if the board was down completely. But just how much > difference would the > board all the way down make, would it improve the > pointing by ? % or > ?degrees. > > > _______________________________________________ > http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats > > > _______________________________________________ > http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time. http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html _______________________________________________ http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
