Rik,
I left out one tidbit of info for owning an electric outboard motor. It is
best if the battery is a deep cell that will take the deep usage and
charging (vs. just a quick start of the motor).  So the batteries cost more,
but last longer.
Gordon
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rik Sandberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2004 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: M_Boats: more on electric drive on M17


MC, Honshells, Howard and Gordon,

Thanks guys.... I think you have sold me. For what we will do with it, an
electric should work fine.

The battery was shot in our M-15 anyway, so I will just buy the biggest
battery that will fit in the box. The box is big so my guess is, this will
be
at least a group 27, maybe even a group 31.

There is a special in Cabela's for a 55 lb Minn-Kota for $219. This even
includes a 10 watt charger....not that I needed another one. :-) At this
price I was pretty tempted to try it whether anybody else had or not. As I
say, I still have a 4 hp 2 stroke to use if I happen to end up on a river or
something where I need a little more kick. Primarily though, this motor will
be just to get us back in if the wind dies and we have to be somewhere. If
the wind is blowing at all, I don't care to use a motor for much more than
just docking and stuff.

For charging, I already have an 11 watt flexible solar panel with a charge
controller. We also have a 1000 watt Honda generator that weighs in at a
whopping 28 pounds and is almost whisper quiet, that we can use if we have
to.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all your good info. Sorry MC, you are getting this
twice. Forgot to check the address and auto replied to you instead of the
list.

Rik


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to