I was out over the weekend, and was only using my Motorguide 55# thrust
trolling motor. In calms, it would push the boat to a max of 2.7 knots on
the GPS (inland lake with no tide or current). A 15 knot headwind....an
occasional whitecap.....would stop it dead. For safety reasons, I'm going to
stick with the 4 HP outboard.

Howard
M17, #278
"Audasea"


On 4/17/04 3:10 PM, "Honshells" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 
> I'm no electrician, but I thought I'd weigh in because I've used a 55 lbs
> thrust Minn Kota on my M17.  I
> believe you might get your 5 miles out of one standard-sized deep-cycle,
> because 5 miles was more or less my
> range with the heavier 17'.  I don't have a knotmeter, nor GPS (I mostly
> daysail, and I'm poor), so I can't
> tell you how fast the electric pushed me.  I can give you the "nephew" index,
> though.  I moved fast enough
> that my nephews enjoyed being dragged behind the boat under silent power.  I'm
> obviously not talkin' planing
> inner-tubes here, but kids in lifejackets with ropes around their waists,
> enjoying the novelty and finding
> out, to their surprise, that the boat was moving faster than they could swim.
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Rik Sandberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "MC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2004 9:14 AM
> Subject: more on electric drive on M17
> 
> MC,
> 
> I have been thinking about an electric for our M-15. We will probably only be
> using her on lakes and most of them aren't all that big. I would think if I
> could get a range of five miles or so, out of it, that should be plenty. I
> might need two batteries to do this, but I don't have a problem with that as
> they (their weight) would reside pretty much in the middle of the boat.
> 
> What was the thrust rating of the motor you were testing?? The motor I am
> looking at is rated, 55 lbs thrust.
> 
> I have a 4 hp 2 stroke to use if I need better range or for a situation with
> current. But the silence of the electric is appealing for use on the lakes we
> would normally be sailing on.
> 
> Rik
> 
> 
> On Fri, Apr 16 2004 07:02 pm, MC wrote:
> 
> today I tried an new variable speed electric trolling motor on a M17, on
> still lake, with no air, one person.  I got the gauge to reach almost two
> knots, its a hang over the side wand type. The meter said it was pulling 47
> amps and at full open it lasted almost two hours. It was very sensitive to
> position of the helmsman.  approximately 745 watts per one HP, that comes
> to only 0.86 HP, two knots seem too high for so small a motor. A ready to
> sail M17 I think weighs in at 2200 lbs plus one person.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to