Hi Scott,

Before you can dream about cruising destinations, you have to know that
they exist.

Now you are aware of the Adriatic coast of "former" Yugoslavia.

Another wonderful area is the Stockholm archipelago.  Hundreds of low,
pine tree covered islands with Swedish summer homes on them, and, 
..........almost every Swede has a power boat or mainly sailboats. 
Powerboats tend to be primarily slow speed (6 - 8 knots) plus a few
outboard powered fast machines.

Everyone is most considerate of one another - no wake zones are
respected.

But once you are off the well marked ship channels, you need local
knowledge and someone has to "correct" your charts so that you avoid the
rocks.  

I came to the conclusion that this was done on purpose to give Russian
mini-subs that were constantly trying to explore the Swedish coast a hard
time.  If you believe the published Swedish chart and then run aground:
it's Swedes 1 - Russians 0, in the game of cat and mouse.

I once was heading back to Stockholm from one of the outer islands of the
archipelago, hard on the wind in a Swedish racing class sloop - a long
thin boat: tall rig; deep keel; long overhangs, ..............

I checked the chart I had and saw 30 meters of water where I wanted to
lengthen my tack between two islands.  OK go for it, fewer tacks are
better, right?

With lee rail under and marching along at about 6 knots, all of a sudden
- in the middle of my 30 meter depth area there was a loud BOOM, and our
ship was high and dry on a nice - barely underwater boulder.  30 meters
of water?????  No way.  My wife, to this day, never lets me forget that
episode when I decide to cut a corner or stray from "guaranteed" deep
water.

Luckily, as I walked forward to get an anchor out of a forepeak, the boat
quivered and slid off the rock into deep water again.

The rest of the 30 NM back to Stockholm I stayed in the marked up areas
of my chart.

But still;  another area to put on your "dream about" list.

If you hit it in August it's kraftor (sp?) time.  These are Swedish fresh
water crayfish (probably similar to the crawfish from Louisiana).  Then
it's ritual eating and drinking time:  1 kraftor:  1 Aquavit:  1 kraftor;
1 Aquavit.  and so on, deep into the night.

Another great area are the Danish islands.............  Towns are built
around the harbors.  Marinas all have showers and toilets for the
cruising sailor.  In the morning you walk to the local bakery and buy
fresh Danish pastry, and are back on board in time for the coffee to
finish brewing.  

Another delightful area.

Connie

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to