Harvey et al.,
Regarding the radial vs. bias tire issue:

1) There has been much discussion regarding radial tires having more sway 
than comparably sized bias ply tires.  It is absolutely true that *passenger car 
radials* have more sidewall flex, and this will translate to more sway at the 
trailer.  Dedicated trailer radials (with 'ST' prefix = 'Special Trailer'), on 
the other hand, have reinforced sidewalls commensurate with their load 
rating.  A good trailer radial will outlast most bias ply tires, and will provide 
reduced rolling resistance and a better ride.

2) If you have an M15 with 12" wheels/tires and want radials, you are 
probably stuck with passenger car versions, as the smallest true trailer radial I 
could find was in the 13" size.  I have 12" Goodyear Tiempo Radials (passenger 
car) on My M15 trailer (Trailrite), and the only time I have noticed any sway at 
all was during an extreme evasive maneuver.  The improvement in ride quality 
was enormous, and even after many thousands of miles, show virtually no wear.  
Still, if trailer radials would have been available, I would have purchased 
them instead.

3) If you have an M17 with 13" or larger wheels/tires, you have several 
choices.  I am partial to the Goodyear Marathon Trailer Radials.  These can be had 
in 13" for about $50.00/per tire (plus shipping) from tirerack.com.  Given the 
added weight of the M17, I would spring the extra few dollars for the real 
trailer radial (I am putting four new 15" load range 'D' Goodyear Marathon 
Radials on my Flicka trailer, and they are still quite reasonable at about 
$80.00/tire).

4) Beware cheap (and some not so cheap) bias ply tires.  I went through two 
sets of 12" bias ply tires in less than 2000 miles when I first bought my M15.  
To quote my local trailer shop guru: "Most bias ply tires are junk...only a 
few are any good at all."  If you do go bias, make sure to get a name brand 
with a nationally recognized warranty.  In many cases you will pay more for a 
mediocre bias tire than a good trailer radial.

5) Match the tire load rating (a, b, c, d, etc.) to your total 
boat/trailer/gear/fuel/etc.  The difference in price between a 'b' and 'c' rated tire 
is 
mere pennies.  On the other hand, do not buy tires that are grossly overrated for 
your load, as the ride will be punishing, and running higher rated tires at 
reduced pressures as compensation might result in heat related failure.

$0.02

Scott
M15 #478 'bebe'
PSC Flicka


In a message dated 5/27/04 9:32:34 AM, 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Hi Gang...
>
>Finally got around to freeing the bolts on the trailer...no big deal with
>an impact wrench <whew!!>
>
>Now for a new pair of tires.  Someone mentioned WalMart having Douglas
>radials for about $30 or thereabouts.
>
>No one at my WalMart, or even their 800 customer service number knows about
>these, or any other trailer tires.
>
>I can get them at the local tire store, but $135/pair out the door is a
>tad
>steep if I can find cheaper ones somewhere.
>
>Any ideas??
>
>  Harvey/ Ga

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to