Hate to disagree with Don (well, no, I don't mind being disagreeable at all actually), 
but rowing an M15 is certainly an option. I've thought about it many times, but never 
seriously enough to work out a suitable rowing station.  I'd be interested in any 
progress you make in this regard Rick. 

The bungee and jam cleat setup works well and has minimal moving parts.  I tie two one 
foot diameter bungee loops and connect them with two foot piece of line.  Drop the 
loops over the stern cleats with the line stretched between, across the cockpit.  The 
jam cleat is fastened on the under side of the tiller (jam side forward)--maybe 8 
inches back from the working end.  You simply stretch the line forward and engage in 
on the jam cleat.  You'll want to discover the exact dimensions of the loops and line 
yourself, but there's not much science to it.  I guess the thing to remember is the 
line should be stretched taunt from one side to the other.  That way there's 
sufficient tension to lock the tiller in place when the line's pulled forward and 
engaged with the jam cleat.  

�
Tom Smith and Jane Van Winkle
M15--345 �Chukar
M17--064� Unnamed


-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Langer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 6:03 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: M_Boats: Another Happiest Day,

Hi Don,
I'd like that launch checklist. I've only been out two times and I agree with you. The 
first things I needed were a tiller tie down and a topping lift. I used what I think 
is a spinnaker halyard as a topping lift and for a tie down a line from stern cleat to 
stern cleat with a couple of wraps around the tiller.  This worked moderately well, 
but surely not the final solution. Maybe you could explain your bungee and jam cleat 
system? The reefing lines seem to be all there and I should work out a procedure 
before I need to reef.  The sculling oar is mostly for fun.  I'm surprised that you 
say I can't row an M15. I had planned to install oar locks, again because I like to 
row.  I had a 26', 6000#, full keel boat that I rowed with 10' oars. Now that was 
difficult, but I  thought the M15 would row nicely.

Thanks,
Rick Langer
M15 #337
Hudson River
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


This message was scanned for viruses!!



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to