Hi Irv,

You ask the right question:  CP16 vs. M15; and  I have owned both.

When I sold my MICRO, I bought the CP16 - roughly same size - but with an
aluminum, mast and shrouds, therefore easier to step.

I totally rebuilt the CP16, and sailed it for a few years,
but......................     .......and it's these "buts" that get you
in the end.

1.  Accommodations were terrible:  two berths extending under the cockpit
seats.  The whole front end was all useless space.

2.  Center support post for the mast in the middle of the cabin

3.  No storage other than stuffing everything under the cockpit seats on
the berths.  If you want to use the berths, then pile everything in the
cockpit for the night.............  (and it rains...........)  Next
morning take all the wet stuff and put it back in the berths again so
that you can go sailing...........
........and Murphy dictates that what you want - RIGHT NOW - is the
furthest in and the most difficult to retrieve.

4.  On a reach or a run it sails nicely (but what boat doesn't?), but if
you have to sail hard on the wind, the leeway is enormous;  i.e., it
doesn't like going in that direction!

5.  After living with those CP16 problems, and finding that I disliked
them intensely, I latched on to the Montgomery 15 as a possible
substitute, and the more I learned the more I became convinced that it
was a "proper" vessel, designed and built by someone who knew what
sailing was all about and what was required in a boat.

6.  Now after sailing my M15 for several years, all I can say is, the M15
gives you what you need and want:
Good inside storage; sail lockers; good sailing characteristics; good
berths; a portapottie.
It is a responsive, elegant, excellently designed small yacht.

7.  There is no comparison between an M15 and a CP16.  The M15 is a
proper boat; the CP16 is a failed attempt at being a useable sail boat.

Connie
M15
CP16
MICRO  
4.  

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to