For some reason, I didn't get Steve's original post below....and have been
getting lots of replies to posts where I never got the original.
Hmmmmmmm....could be my "Junk" filter is cranked up too high? Maybe not. I
still get about 20 pieces of spam per day....and 2-3x that gets deleted
before I ever see it.

Anyway, sounds to me like Steve needs an extension on his trailer tongue,
like the ones the big boats use. Add another 10' or so and she should float
off. That sounds like a better solution than letting her bounce off the
bottom. In a chop, that could get ugly!


Howard


On 8/12/04 7:55 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It would be easy enough to put a few layers of sacrificial cloth on the fwd
> bottom corner if you wanted.  That
> way the integrity of the original layup would be maintained.
> 
> Tod
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
> Behalf Of Honshells
> Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 7:39 PM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: M_Boats: boat ramp strategies
> 
> 
> 
> "Has anyone tried to reinforce the leading edge of the Monty's keel?"
> 
> Don't mean to butt in, but this definitely seems do-able, and I've often
> wondered if it's been done, or if anyone has any suggestions as to how it
> MIGHT be done, myself.
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 8:53 AM
> Subject: Boat ramp strategies
> 
> Greetings Montgomery owners.  I'm a Potter 15 sailor who regularly sails
> from fishing boat ramps.  These are ramps without any frills-no docks, no
> beach, just a concrete ramp, usually with big ugly rocks on either side of
> it.  On the Potter, I've resorted to launching the boat with the board and
> rudder up, then lifting the bow and very gently grounding her on the
> concrete ramp, which holds her in place under most conditions while I park
> the car and trailer.  This isn't so bad as it sounds because the ramps are
> slicked over with algae. Retrieval is the reverse of this process.
> 
> I often think about switching to a Montgomery 15 for all the sterling
> qualities they possess, but I haven't figured out how I'd deal with this
> aspect of my sailing.  Many of these ramps are shallow, and the keel is
> likely to be the grounding point.  How do Montgomery sailors deal with this
> sort of thing?  On the Potter, the center skeg is the area that takes the
> abuse.  I have an idea for its protection; I want to bond a 1/16" X 1 1/2"
> strip of aluminum to it with marine contact cement.  Would this sort of
> thing work for an M-15?  Has anyone tried to reinforce the leading edge of
> the Monty's keel?
> 
> Steve Tyree, P-15, beset by rocks in Middle Tennessee
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to