We have a similar Humminbird set up. Great system.

----- Original Message -----
From: "William B. Riker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 3:12 PM
Subject: RE: M_Boats: Depth/Fish Finder For M15


> Living in landlocked Pittsburgh, I don't sail my 15 enough to justify a
wet
> cell electrical system.  But I found a fish finder, Pirhana 1 by
> Hummingbird, that works on AA cells.  Amazingly, it will run many hours
> (20-30+) on a set of batteries (4, I think.)
>
> The transducer hangs from a suction cup that mounts on the transom beside,
> or right ahead of the rudder.  No problems when heeling.  No holes in the
> boat.  Great performance.  Low cost, about $125.  Everyone has their
winners
> and losers.  The Pirhana 1 is definitely one of my winners.
>
> Bill Riker
> M15 - #184
> Storm Petrel
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Behalf Of Howard Audsley
> Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 8:17 AM
> To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Depth/Fish Finder For M15
>
> I have a Garmin 168...combination depth finder and GPS....with crude
charts.
> On my lake it's overkill, but on bigger water like the Chesapeake, it
really
> helps. ID a navaid and go straight to it, and you can watch the depth on
the
> same screen as you move along. It even has tide tables built in.
>
> One advantage of a "fish finder" unit, instead of a digital readout depth
> finder, is that once you learn how to read it, you can predict what the
> bottom is...soft mud, rock, weeds, etc. Useful when deciding where to
> anchor. It's the greyline or whiteline feature.
>
> If the unit you mention is one of those things where you hang a post with
> transducer on the end of it over the side...or off the transom, I'm not
sure
> how well that would work on a boat that is heeling. And you have the rest
of
> the unit still sticking up for lines to hang up on.
>
> On a regular unit, you can mount the transducer to the inside of the hull
> simply by pressing it into a puddle of silicone sealant (about 1 inch high
x
> 2" around). It will shoot right through the hull and give you a good
signal.
> Not as clear as if it was shooting in the water, but good enough for
sailing
> purposes.
>
> Howard
>
> On 8/24/04 8:37 PM, "Peter Deffenbacher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hello all!
> > I would like to know if anyone with an M15 has ever used a Depth/Fish
> > Finder on their boat.
> > I am leaning to the Fishin' Buddy 2255 by Bottom Line because it is
> > removable.  I don't want to drill a hole in the Hull.
> > Anyone can email off line it they would like.
> > I also would like to hear more sailing adventure stories too if you have
> > them.  I don't have too many myself yet!
> > Thanks,
> > Peter
> > Peanut M15 618
> > "Its better to have feet then no shoes"  It's raining here quite heavy!
> > _______________________________________________
> > http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> >
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to