The C-Cushion or Bottom Sider type cushion, closed-cell with a skin, is what I'm
imagining for floatation, with a softer open-cell on top for comfort.  I have 
such an
arrangement with my Therma Rest for camping and it works pretty well . . .

----- Original Message ----- 
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: 'MC Carpenter' ; 'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 7:29 PM
Subject: couple of questions on foam's, rubber, latex memory,

I need to replace Busca's cushions one of these years as they are now, at
17, well past their useful life and a good night's sleep is getting harder
and harder to find.

I have a couple of ccushion pads for the cockpit (www.ccushions.com) but
they are too firm for sleeping, even if they were thicker than the 1.5" or
so that they are.

I should think a closed-cell foam cushion would be very uncomfortable
because it would trap moisture next to you.

Some time back, while taking the ferry "Joseph and Clara Smallwood" to
Newfoundland, I slept on a vinyl-covered mattress in the dorm and when I
awoke I was very nearly dripping wet from the moisture that had collected
over the night.

Tod

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of MC Carpenter
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 7:11 PM
To: Montgomery Groups
Subject: couple of questions on foam's, rubber, latex memory,

I have been looking for soft cushion material that is still soft to sleep on

YET will not sock up water like a sponge, like spray or rain what ever, All
the soft foam I can find that is comfortable to sleep gets destroyed by
water (falls apart when rubbed) and sun light (gets chalky and crumbles). Or

works like a giant sponge.  I even tried a block of the so called memory
form, It is very nice and soft. I put it on a anchor and let to sink to
about thirty feet in the river. That was three weeks ago and still I can not

get it dry. And even after three washings it still smells like mud.  My
search of places like goggle have not been fruitful.

Does any one know of a COAST GUARD approved floatation foam that is as soft
as a mattress, perhaps that would be a better search, But I have looked all
over even Home depot for dual purpose foam. Am I asking to much from those
chemical engineers. I found several old life Jackets at the flea market,
dollar each, and cut them apart to see if they world have anything of value,
but that foam is as hard as sleeping on rocks.
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to