Gary,

I would sand it clean and coat it with epoxy (two coats at least) and then
either varnish or paint it.  Epoxy is the best  primer and protector of
wood.  It is all you need to keep the water out, but it must be protected
from UV deterioration, so used a high UV resistant varnish.  If you prefer
paint, I believe that as long as it's opaque it will provide UV protection.

Be sure the end grain gets plenty of epoxy, obviously the bottom of the
rudder, but also the top which will be rained on.

I don't know how difficult it is to remove the rudder on an M17, but if I
were to keep my boat in a slip I would store the rudder in the cabin when
not in use.  Keeping a boat in the water greatly increases the maintenance,
mostly due to the affects of UV rays.  And then there's all the stuff that
grows on bottoms that are continuously under water.

I have a friend who keeps his Wayfarer, fully rigged, on a trailer at the
yacht club and easily lunches it whenever he wants to use it, which is
normally 3 times a week.  The boat is always ready to go, the bottom is
always sparkling clean and he doesn't worry about the boat sinking when
unattended.  In addition he still maintains his "stuckness" on the same body
of water.

Rick Langer
M15 #337


> Im am going to redo my rudder this spring. I keep the 17 in a slip so the
> rudder will be painted. Do I need to do anymore than just sand her smooth
or do
> I need to varnish before she is painted.
>
> Also any ideas on what I might use to fill in the  small nicks/scratches ?
> The plan is to:      sand her smooth
>                             fill in where needed
>                             sand again
>                             apply bottom paint
>
> Does this cover it or did I miss something? Thanks for your help
>
> Gary
>



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to