John:
I don't have a roller furler on Sweet Dream but I do use push pins on the 
forestay, jib clevis, and lower rudder pintle. I replaced all the cotter pins 
on 
the shrouds and elsewhere with SS rings and taped them in place for extra 
security. I have a piece of shoelace tied to the ring at the base of the 
pushpin. 
The lace wraps around the front of the pin with several half hitches and a 
bowknot to keep it in place and prevent it accidentaly pulling out. I sometimes 
use plastic cable ties to secure the pushpins and cut them away when I de-rig. 
Steve Eslemann (Scamp) had his forestay come loose on a trip to Catalina and 
only the jib downhaul saved him from losing the mast. It pays to be safe.
I don't know why you are disconnecting the shrouds at the chainplates. I 
leave them connected all the time. The mast comes down and goes up with the 
shrouds connected. The only time I've ever taken them loose was when I had to 
stow 
the mast during Hurricane Ivan.
Fair winds
Don L M-15 # 620
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to