John,

For what's it worth, this is the way I lower my M-17 with CDI furler. First, 
I do it while boats on the trailer. I leave the shrouds attached to the 
chainplates. I remove the sail, detach the furler shackle at bow plate, attach 
1/4 " 
line to shackle, run it through small block attached to bow plate and then 
astern to port winch, take several wraps around winch leaving some 10-12 feet 
on 
loose end. Then stradling cockpit and standing on seats (thwarts?) and 
holding line in left hand, I start lowering the mast on to right shoulder, 
moving 
astern on seats, slipping  the line on winch until mast is firmly on shoulder 
and under control. By this time mast is at low enough angle that winch is of 
little or no help. The winch setup is only used as a brake. I then step off 
seats 
into cockpit and lower mast into cradle. I have one advantage and that is I 
am tall and mast is at not at overly acute angle once it reaches my shoulder. 
The downside is that I'm not particluarly strong or kinetic and I only do this 
when solo which is usually the case. When I have help the procedure is 
identical except the aide-de-camp contols the winch line.

For what it's worth, good luck

Bill K   M-17 (#55)

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to