I've filled in my M17's Plexi window opening, installed opening ports, moved 
deck
hardware, including my traveler, and even replaced my 3-pintal lifting rudder 
with a
two-pintal kickup ... I've also repaired many nicks and scratches typical to a
20-year-old boat ... All the while having all the work done by a professional, 
who
perfectly matched my gel ... I wouldn't recommend this from the standpoint of 
cost,
but the RESULT:  None of the old mounting holes, nicks, scratches, etc. that I 
have
had repaired are detectable ... By ANYONE ... The guy I use is a perfectionist 
and
true artist in fiberglass ... And charges less/hour than marinas ... 
Nevertheless, I
respect the heck out of the do-it-yourselfers on this list who roll up their 
sleeves
and "just do it", gleaning the satisfaction of self-sufficiency and staunching 
some
of the financial hemorrhages of boat-ownership ... However, those of you 
familiar
with my threads know I have physical limitations, so am not capable of some of 
the
DIY ... So, my hat is off to the exceptionally capable individualists on this 
list
who have tackled everything from paint to trailer overhauls to electrical to
self-steering ... I wish I were one of you, but I ain't ...

----- Original Message ----- 
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: 'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 1:15 PM
Subject: Gel Coat Matching

Bob,

I had some glass work done on Busca (cockpit bulkhead instrument holes
filled, sink and knotmeter thru-hulls filled) and the guy did a super job
and matched the gelcoat perfectly.

I've seen repair work that included duplicating sections of non-skid
patterns that were even indiscernible with close inspection.   That's skill.

Unless doing enough of it to warrant the practice (and practice makes
perfect), it's probably a whole lot less aggravating to just have a pro do
it if you want it to *really look good*.  If less than perfection is okay,
then the tube of air-dry stuff isn't bad at all.

*******

To de-core  the centerboard pendant, you just slide the cover braid back to
expose the core (start with a raw end, not a melted end), clip off the core
the desired amount (enough to thread the cover braid into the board and tie
a knot in it), then slide the cover braid back down and seal-melt the end of
it to prevent fraying.  Piece of cake.

Tod
M17 #408
BuscaBrisas

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bob Olson
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 12:01 PM
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
Subject: Gel Coat Matching

Bill, From what I've been able to glean from various websites regarding
gelcoat, is that its primarily a production process material. In other
words, it works best when sprayed into a mold as the first layer in the
production process before the layers of fiberglass. I have a feeling
that it would be difficult to replicate the original gelcoat look by
applying it over a hull repair. And, I'm guessing that it would need to
be covered in order to cure properly. Typically, a boat shop would spray
a water soluable material over the gelcoat as a final step. After the
gelcoat had cured, then the top layer would be washed off.

That's why I'm leaning toward a linear polyurathane (sp?) product. More
expensive than cocaine, but it sounds as though it's the right product
for post production repairs.

How the hell do you de-core part of a rope for a centerboard pendant?
That's the thing that got me boggled right now.

--Bob
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to