So if I want to spiff up my 1978 boat, I should prep it for painting, then
take it to an auto body shop and have them shoot on a couple coats of white
and some clear cote? And maybe not white. Heck....going the automotive route
opens up all kinds of color options. Maybe I could get a deal on Mary-Kay
Pink in a metal flake? Wouldn't be too many of those out there!

Seriously, if the automotive paint is an option, it changes the equation a
great deal. No reason at all to have a ragged looking boat.

On my stitch and glue dinghy, I have been planning to use a water based 2
part LPU paint from System 3. Perhaps I should give the automotive paint a
try. One of our local auto parts stores has an automotive paint section.
Hard to imagine it could be that easy.

On 4/18/05 11:42 PM, "jerry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:


> 
> I better way on an older boat is to use a two-part polyurethane.  Rather
> than LP (linear polyurethane), an automotive type is better because you can
> sand out any runs, and it stands up to UV better.  You can spray it over
> gel-coat (prep just like you would when using gel-coat, then wetsand out the
> edges and buff.  It'll be the shiniest spot on the boat, esp[ecially ten
> years later.  The best auto-type polyurethane is Deltron, made by PPG.  You
> can't get it many places now in CA because of harrassment from the air
> quality people, but it IS still legal for boats and airplanes.
> 
> Jerry
> jerrymontgomery.org


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to