This is an old thread, but I wanted to follow up on the advice I was given.
Yesterday  I compounded my very oxidized blue hull.  The results were ok but
not great.  Then I put on a coat of Penetrol.  The results are spectacular.
Except for the dings and scratches the blue hull looks new.  I wasn't able
to wipe it off after application because it dried too quickly.  Next time
I'll do smaller areas at a time.  The finish I got is high gloss.

Thanks,

Rick Langer
M15 #337
Hudson River


> Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:00:05 -0500
> From: "Craig F. Honshell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: M_Boats: hi, rick . . .
> To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
> <[email protected]>
> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
>
> I am by no means the expert on this, so I hope others will weigh in . . .
But I'll
> repeat what I know, and hopefully get it right . . .
>
> Rubbing compound is a mild abrasive suspended in a paste, a paste much
like liquid
> wax for a car, and is a safe way to take the oxidation out of gelcoat . .
. It comes
> in degrees of abrasiveness and is available at marine outlets . . . It can
be applied
> with an orbital polisher, but one should take care not to use too much
pressure and
> "burn" the gelcoat, which I believe will yellow when damaged by heat.
>
> Penetrol, and I'm not sure of the spelling, is a paint additive . . . I
think for
> enamel paint . . . I believe it's a solvent, but someone please correct me
if I'm
> wrong . . . I believe it is available as "Marine Penetrol", but I've used
the stuff
> available at any hardware store . . . It is applied, left very briefly,
and wiped
> off, leaving a rich shine in the gelcoat . . . It's most impressive use
I've seen is
> Larry Yake's yellow-hulled M17, Tullamore . . .
>
> Vertglass was one brand of miracle fiberglass restorer . . . I don't know
if it's
> available anymore . . . Poliglow is another brand, one, I believe, that
received high
> marks from Practical Sailor magazine.  I'm not sure what the miracle
restorers do, if
> they're like rubbing compound and wax in one or what, but Poliglow would
basically
> used to preserve the gelcoat's finish, like wax . . . I think . . . Please
correct me
> if I'm wrong . . . I believe these miracle restorers tout that they can be
used on
> oxidized gelcoat, skip the rubbing compound, and produce good results, but
we had
> much better success with Vertglass after using rubbing compound first . .
.
>
> These are three steps I'm considering, but there's more than one way to
skin this
> cat, and West Marine sells complete kits for gelcoat care . . . I think
Star Bright
> caries a variation of every gelcoat, metal and wood preservative/restorer
conceivable
> . . .
>
> All the products make magnificent claims . . .
>
> But I saw pics of Tod's Busca after the Poliglow, don't know what steps he
used
> before, and it was very impressive . . .
>
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: Rick Langer
> To: [email protected]
> Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 9:54 AM
> Subject: i was thinkin' . . . too
>
> Craig,
>
> My blue hull is oxidized too and I'd like to bring it back.  I have a 9"
> compounder and a Cyclo random orbital polisher which I've used to polish a
> vintage Airstream trailer.  I'm guessing that polishing fiberglass is a
lot
> easier than aluminum, but I'm a bit confused i.e.  rubbing compound,
> Penetrol(?), Poliglow, Vertglass.
>
> I wonder if you could give us a brief tutorial on bringing back and
keeping
> the shine on our boats?
>
> BTW, my boat has repaired gouges, but the color match is so bad that I
wish
> they were left alone.  I went through a similar thing when polishing my
> Airstream.  The experts advised me to leave the gouges and large scratches
> alone and just polish them, kind of adds character.  I think they were
> right.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick Langer
> M15 #337
>
>  Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:29:50 -0500
>  From: "Craig F. Honshell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  Subject: M_Boats: i was thinkin' . . .
>  To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
>  <[email protected]>
>  Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
>  . . . this spring that I'd like to buff out my hull's oxidation, then go
> over it
>  completely with Penetrol, then finish it with Poliglow or comparable
> miracle
>  restorative . . . I think we used "Vertglass", something like that, on
the
> Flicka one
>  year . . . Don't know if that stuff is still available . . .
>
>  I have gouges in my shear stripe that aren't going to go away without
> major
>  restoration, but perhaps I can draw the eye away from them with a really
> shiny hull .
>  . .  :-)



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to