Hi Sandra,

I had my welding shop build me a trailer tongue extension for LEPPO's
Trailrite trailer.

It was 8 feet long.

The extension has a normal receiver on the end, plus another trailer ball
near the other end.

They added a "U" shaped steel support on the bottom side of the Trailrite
trailer tongue into which the back end of the extension fitted.  The
extension was then locked in place with the trailer extension ball  going
into the regular trailer receiver.

To use the extension, I blocked the trailer wheels, using chocks that I
built,  lowered the tongue jack, and then disconnected the trailer.

I pulled the car forward.

Next I undid my extension fastenings, removed it from the trailer frame,
and inserted it into the "U" and the ball in the receiver, locking it in
place.

Now I could back up and put the tongue extension receiver on the car's
ball hitch, fasten the safety chains, retract the trailer jack, and then
was ready to launch  ( I had raised the mast prior to disconnecting the
trailer from the car)

Backing up with the extension makes the job easier, with the distance
between car and trailer wheels being longer.  Think 18 wheelers, and the
way they can park their trailers.

The only problem you might encounter launching is going from the flat
assembly area to the launch ramp itself.  If the launch ramp has a sharp
angle, with the flat pavement, you may (I have) scraped the bottom of the
trailer tongue extension as you go down the ramp, and the tongue
extension hits the ridge in the pavement as the trailer wheels go down
the ramp.

A trailer tongue extension is extra work to rig when launching, but I
also prefer to keep the wheels of the car out of the water.

Connie 

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to