I can't recall the cost of the sandblast job on the CB. Seems like it was
$50 or so. An auto body shop could do both, and I'd let them shoot at least
a coat of primer on the trailer. If left to their leisure, it might be
surprisingly cheap to have the trailer blasted and painted...assuming you
have stripped everything off yourself.

BTW....I had a mast crutch welded to the trailer....right in front of the
winch. Suspends the mast just above the pulpit. I much prefer that to
lashing it to the pulpit. Quicker to handle, more secure and takes the
weight off the pulpit. I also had a motor mount welded to the same area.
Gets the motor off the transom....and keeps it out of the tow vehicle.

On the CB, it needs to be coated ASAP after blasting....like within
minutes...for sure the same day. I recall it having a rusty haze to it
before I got it home. Not major...but it was there.

I've also come to the conclusion that a couple coats of epoxy is probably
the best "primer" you can use. Lay it flat, roll on a coat and hit it with a
wire brush to work it in. Roll on two or three coats. Turn it over and do
the same to the other side. Coated when horizontal, you will get a nearly
glass smooth finish. I might even put a couple layers of fiberglass or
polyester tape (xynole) on the leading edge and doubled at the tip for
abrasion protection. You can prime and paint that. Two part epoxy paint in
fresh water....bottom paint over that if you feel you need it.

On the boat cushions....you will probably be appalled at how nasty your foam
is. Take them all to an upholstery shop and and have them make you a new
set...using the old ones for a pattern. Or do it yourself if you have the
know how. Mine cost about $500 for the set. Vinyl on the bottom and an
acrylic auto fabric on the tops. Makes a very big difference in appearance.
Use high density foam. Stiffer than you might think. If there is a chance
you will be getting salt water on them, you may want to go with vinyl all
over. Once salt gets in the fabric, they will feel and be damp for a long
time.

Howard
M17, #278
Audasea

On 11/13/05 10:10 PM, "Steve Shenkel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am looking for some M17 information that I am sure others have had to
> accumulate or run across before:
> 
> 1.    What is the length of the straight portion of the back stay
> (mast head to bridle)?  I thought I saw a link to this information, but
> I can not find it now.
> 2.    Approximate sand blasting costs for:
> a.    Centerboard
> b.    Trailrite trailer
> 3.    Approximate amount of material required to reupholster interior
> cushions of earlier model with galley.  This would include vinyl bottom
> and fabric top and sides.
> 
> Thanks for your help.
> 
> Steve Shenkel
> M17 #263
> Glendale, AZ 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to