The lead is in 25 lb bags od "shot" just like what you'd fill a shotgun 
cartridge with. 48 of them. Installing it is gonna be fun. When the boat was 
built 
it is my understanding that the ballast was installed from the top of the keel 
cavity and then resin allowed to soak down through it. One thing that I 
noticed when removing the ballast is that there were large areas where the 
ballast 
was not resin soaked. I was able to just scoop out the punchings. I'm sure 
that this wasn't really a problem 'cause the  cavity was filled right to the 
top 
so there wasn't any issue of the ballast being able to move around. I suspect 
that when the resin was poured over the ballast it found certain paths to 
travel through it  and dispersed itself out as good as it could, but the 
punchings 
were packed pretty solid, so there were areas where the resin didn't go.  Why 
does this mater? Well, I'm not sure if it does BUT....I won't be filling the 
entire void in the cavity with ballast. The lead is much denser than the steel 
so I expect some space left at the top of the cavity after its all in. 
Because of that I really want to try to make it as much of a single "mass" as 
possible. I really don't want to cut throught the floor of the cabin if I dont 
have 
to. So here's my plan.

I plan to layer the ballast in in 2-3inch layers at a time and soak them in 
polyester resin. I usually use West System epoxy for everything. This 
application , however, is just to glue the shot together and is going to take a 
fair 
amount of resin. Epxoy runs close to $115/gallon. Polyester is only $23.
I will build a "dam" along the bottom edge of the holes in the keel that will 
be above the level that I am going to install the lead. Then I am going to 
lay in a 2-3 inch layer and then resin soak it. I'll let that resin kick into 
the gel state before I go for the next "dam", layer, and resin soak. I am 
hoping 
that that will also allow the resin to dissapate some of the heat it will be 
generating as it cures. I'm anticipating the difficulty to increase as the 
levels get higher just due to being pinched between the top of the dam and the 
bottom of the hull for work space. I think I make a long funnel arrangement to 
pour the shot  and resin in with, but we'll have to see how it works out as it 
goes along. Certainly there will be some amount of additional space  left 
above the lead ballast. Do I just leave it empty? I don't know. I could fill it 
with 2 part expanding foam but that stuff is a sponge if water ever gets in 
there. Anyone got any ideas on that? Right now I'm leaning towards just  
leaving 
it empty. I guess that bridge is still a ways down the road.

I've still got some work to do before installing the lead. I'm going to run a 
test by pouring colored water into the bilge and see if any makes it down 
into the keel from above. Also there's some glasswork I want to do to the 
bottom 
of the keel slot. Actually its probably a good thing 'cause all the while the 
boat and keel will continue to breathe the 10% humidity, Arizona, 80 degree 
air. That can't be a bad thing. I just keep telling myself "take your time and 
do it right.........................then I say San Juans! San Juans! San Juans 
are slipping away!!!" hahaha.

I'll post pics on the site as progress is made. Other projects such as the 
swing keel refurb, rudder repair, and bottom job are all continuing to make 
progress as well.
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to