[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In a message dated 3/14/06 2:48:55 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:


Wesley:
I trailed my M15 with the 2 hp Honda in place on the motor bracket on the transom. The motor only weighs 28 pounds. Never had a problem.

I plan to trailer my M17 with the 50-pound Yamaha on the motor bracket too. The bracket is pretty strong and well backed up on the transom as far as I can tell. I like to minimize the work involved in trailing and launching (am I lazy?!), and hefting that motor on and off might invite back trouble. We will see how it goes.
--Gary Hyde


Gary et al,
I have to 'weigh in' with an emphatic 'Don't do it!!' When shopping for my M15 many years ago, I ran across several M15's and at least one M17 with damage at the hull-to-deck joint caused by trailing with outboards mounted to transom (the owners admitted as much). In all cases, the joint opened up--in one case dramatically, and stress/spider cracks were apparent.

The transom hull-to-deck joint is not through-bolted as it is at port and starboard sides. Also, the reinforcement/backing at/in transom does not run the full height of the transom. There may be variation throughout production, or in more recent boats, but all the Jerry-built boats I have seen have had more or less the same configuration.

Furthermore, I very much doubt that either Jerry or Bob (builder emeritus and current builder, respectively) would advocate this practice. If I remember correctly, Jerry spoke to this issue several years ago, and recommended strongly against the practice.

If you have towed without damage to date, I am guessing that you have either been lucky, or have not yet towed far enough for damage to commence or be evident.

If lifting the outboard is a problem, then perhaps some kind of lifting tackle, mechanical aid, or assistance from crew/bystanders is needed.

Sincerely,
Scott
M15 #478 'bebe'
Pacific Seacraft Flicka
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Hi, I towed M23 Sadhana many thousands of freeway and mountain miles with first 
an 8HP Johnson then an 8HP Majestic electric start, extra long shaft outboard 
attached to the transom untilted but with the leg securely strapped forward to 
a cross member. Bones can perhaps tell you if any damage resulted but I don't 
think so. The only excitements I experienced were a wheel coming off at low 
speed, many freeway tire faiures until I stopped being Mr Niceguy and pulling 
into the debris laden shoulder and one crash stop in Albany Oregon when someone 
ran a red light on the freeway off ramp. Sadhana climbed up the bow chock and 
ruined a brand new Awlgrip paint job.
Regards, Dick


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to