Here are my experiences in reefing my M15 "Joy": I trailed up to
Stockton Lake in Southwest Missouri, noted for fine (and high) winds
for great sailing in Nov., 1989. She already had two automobile
batteries in her bilge, one for lights and electronics, one for her
auxiliary power of a Minn-Kota trolling motor (permanently mounted
through the hull and just aft of the keel), so she had a lot more
stability than original! When winds piped up, my first move was
always to lower the boom as far as possible. That always made a
major difference for me. Then a single reef in the main, then reef
the jib (most effective, set and drew very well), then a second in
the main. My sailing journal has these abbreviated notes (and my
speeds were as measured with the hand-held Dwyer wind gauge, and the
also hand-held Knotstick): With boom lowered, all reefs in, and Dwyer
reading rarely below 20 mph, usually 20 to 30 plus, some gusts over
40, Joy frequently went 5 1/4 knots on a close to beam reach. The
next day, with Dwyer telling me pretty steady 30 to 40, and waves
running one to three fret, we had a ball, with a wet one
occasionally coming over the rail to get me. Water temp was 57°,
cool! (I was only 60 back then, and a lot more adventurous than I
can afford--physically and mentally--to be now!)
I will await any good answers to Donglai's request for how to remove
vinyl numbers and names. I am anxiously awaiting, this week I hope,
the delivery of my new (to me, an "86) M15 being trucked in from Los
Gatos.
John Butler
˜˜˜˜˜˜/)˜˜˜˜˜ Sailing again! Praise the Lord!
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats