I just bought a new rudder and tiller for my M17 (the original was 25 years old 
and not restorable IMHO)... i purchased it from Jerry's original supplier 
(Royce Boat Shop) and had them shipped to northern CA from southern CA... total 
cost$425. I haven't installed it yet... a winter project... it is beautiful 
though. I know it is not convenient to shallow gunkholing but i think the 
beauty of that big hunk of mahogony is part of the charm of the M17. And Mr. 
Monty got me concerned about performance in heavier seas with a kick up... (my 
definition of heavier seas... SF Bay). 
   
  Jeff (#336)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  The draft at the keel/centerboard is, in my estimation, not the main
controlling difference. For myself, the issue is more the kick-up
rudder on a 15 vs the vertically sliding rudder on a 17. For shallower
water sailing, a kick-up rudder could be retrofitted to a 17 (IdaSailor
offers one). Something I need to do this winter is make a new rudder
for my 17 (I shattered my nice wooden one on a submerged immoveable
object last summer). I plan to make a kick-up one.

Tod Mills
M17 #408
BuscaBrisas
________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
on behalf of Jerry
Sent: Mon 11/6/2006 2:11 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: M_Boats: Close to the bank



I am interested, but do not yet have a Montgomery. I
have a wonderful picture as my computer wallpaper of
two Montgomery 15 boats pulled up about a foot from a
sandy shore. This capability really appeals to me, but
I may want the larger M-17. I have read several
cruising stories where both boats were present. Does
the greater draft of the M-17 make much practical
difference in being able to pull up close to shore?

Thanks,
Jerry Renno




________________________________________________________________________
____________
Sponsored Link

$200,000 mortgage for $660/mo - 30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt, home equity
- Click now for info http://yahoo.ratemarketplace.com


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats





_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to