Jeff- all the core in the deck and also the liner, is end-grain balsa, not
plywood.  Ccompared to plywood, it's much lighter, less prone to
delamination, but unfortunately more prone to dry rot.  Keep everything
sealed (hardware) and it can't dry rot.

The cabin sole, however, is NOT cored.  We bonded the sole directly to the
bottom of the hull.  We would wet out several layers of fiberglass mat, set
the liner and weight it down with about a thousand pounds of sandbags.
Nothing in there to rot, but a delamination obviously is possible.

Jerry
jerrymontgomery.org

----- Original Message -----
From: "RandyG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2007 8:56 AM
Subject: RE: M_Boats: M-17 Spongy Floor


Jeff,

We had a similar situation with a portion of the cockpit floor on our 1988
M17.  A large area between the mainsheet traveler and companion way began to
feel spongy shortly after we replaced our mainsheet traveler track. Upon
close examination I found the top layer of fiberglass had separated from the
plywood core. The cockpit floor is a fiberglass-plywood-fiberglass sandwich
construction. I don't know, but maybe the cabin floor is constructed in the
same way. In our case, the plywood core was dry and fine.

I talked with Jerry, and one other owner who was experiencing the same
problem. In our case the solution turned out to be a straight forward and
inexpensive repair.

- Using the trailer tongue jack I raised the bow of the boat.

- Drilled 2 small holes in the area of cockpit floor where the separation
had occurred, in the forward most portion of the area. The idea was to use
gravity to allow the epoxy to flow towards the stern. The hole size matched
to tip size of a 60cc medical syringe.

- Taped off an area around the drilled holes to catch any excess epoxy, and
using a medical syringe dripped penetrating epoxy into the holes for several
hours.

- After a period of time, by pressing down on the voided area of the cockpit
floor I could feel the stickiness of the epoxy as it touched the plywood
core.

- Placed several 8"x8"x16" cement block on top of the floor to compress the
top fiberglass layer onto the plywood core. And continued the epoxy drip.

- Eventually the epoxy stopped flowing as the void became full. Based on the
amount of epoxy used, I would speculate that some of the epoxy was absorbed
by the plywood core . I let everything sit for several days. And then
patched the drilled holes with gelcoat patch.

After a year of use the floor seems 100% solid. The key ingredient in this
repair is in using penetrating epoxy. The stuff will find its way into every
void, nook and cranny, and takes 24 hours to setup. (amazing stuff). It has
the consistency of about 10 weight motor oil. Amazing stuff, and relatively
inexpensive.

While the problem you are describing is not quite the same, I hope this
information is helpful. Having had our centerboard out, I am trying to think
how water might get up into the area you are describing, and can't come up
with anything.

Sincerely,
Randy Graves
M17 #410






________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on
behalf of Jeff Royce
Sent: Fri 4/6/2007 7:36 AM
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
Subject: M_Boats: M-17 Spongy Floor




Hi All,

  I am an avid reader of the Monty e-mails but a very infrequent
participant. I am what one may call a casual sailer with little knowledge of
manufacture. As I was removing my porta-potty for cleaning (always an
enjoyable experience) I noticed that the floor in the cabin (roughly 3" or
so from the v-berth and back toward the companionway hatch about 4 inches or
so, about a 4" circle right in the middle of the boat) was a bit spongy. It
would move down with the pressure of my foot. I felt like, even though my
gentle pressure would not break through at this time, that perhaps the time
was coming when it would. There is a little inspection hatch right there at
the bottom of the v-berth and when i opened it it seemed damp inside but not
wet. I took her out last about 2 weeks ago.

  Questions arise such as 1) is there a marine plywood subfloor under the
fiberglass? 2) is the water getting in from the centerboard well? 3) could
the same sponginess be found on the other side (the hull)? 4) what is the
expense of a repair? 5) is one needed now or can one simply wait until it
gets worse? or 6) my favorite one... is this nothing to worry about and
should i just keep sailing?

  Jeff Royce
  Cameron Park, CA
  M-17 Hull #366
  1982 Vintage
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats





----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----


> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----


No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.26/746 - Release Date: 4/4/2007
1:09 PM


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to