Thanks, folks for all your advice and suggestions about getting my wife to
enjoy sailing. Part of the "backstory" was when she was 16, she went out on
the lake with some hotshot Hobie sailor (no, it wasn't me) who insisted on
flying the hull despite her protests. Naturally, he dumped the boat and
threw her into the rigging, which cut her leg up. She still has a small scar
on her leg, but the mental one left in her head was a good bit bigger.

No yelling is good... I've already got that one covered pretty well. But the
"no duties" idea is a new thought that makes a lot of sense. Of course,
she'll protest, but explaining that it's an option for her to completely
relax & let me do all the grunt work is valid. I made sure that all the
boats have electric windlasses, and have already found an "intro to scuba"
1-hr class for my son to attend. She's refused the idea of hiring a captain,
even for a half day, and doesn't want to go larger than a 32... which, as
I'll be mostly singlehanding, has about all the sail area I can handle by
myself.

I'd thought about a catamaran, but having never sailed one, am pretty
apprehensive about that. I'd also like to stay with a monohull, if only to
keep things similar to what we might eventually buy. (See, Honey, we could
get one just like this!) Many years ago we went aboard an Island Packet 32,
one of the first new ones they built. She liked that boat a lot, but at that
time, the 159K price tag might as well been 159M... (still is, really) But
those Bene's seem like they'd be pretty impressive as well, much like the IP
was.

The only advice I'm going to NOT take is "forget her and go with someone
else." I'm not saying that's necessarily bad advice, or incorrect, just that
it won't work for me right now!

I'll keep folks posted about how things go... might even make a good
magazine article.

Thanks again

BG


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to