Another two cents worth: In the Fall of 1984 I bought a new 1983 M15
from a dealer in Minneapolis. Back in those days I was poor and in
good health. Now I am no longer poor, but hardly rich, and in lousy
health at 78. My first M15 was my nautical love and joy, and was
named "Joy." We explored many lakes and rivers together and had
innumerable nights at anchor on most of them. But a form of stroke in
'77 wiped out my left inner ear, leaving me permanently balance-
impaired. As years passed, my balance deteriorated, and the relative
tenderness of Joy's round bottom became more than I could stand. Or,
perhaps more honestly, an inheritance meant I could use my balance
for an excuse to move up to the full keel Cape Dory Typhoon, Joy II.
She and I re-explored my many favorite coves on Beaver Lake in NW
Arkansas, but she was not trailerable for me, so we stuck to home
waters. I didn't know it then, but peripheral poly neuropathy was
robbing my legs of feeling, and balance became more of a problem.
(Ever try to stand on one leg when it had "gone to sleep"?) So I
"graduated" to a Cape Cod Catboat, 8' 6" of hard-chine beam on an
18' 6" LOA hull--VERY stable, and only one sail to handle, no
foredeck work. (Read about her by clicking on my signature below.)
But time continued to take its toll, and when I found I could no
longer handle her, I broke my heart and sold her and also sold my
condo on Beaver Lake. But I missed sailing too much, so went back to
the lovely M15, and went up 97 hull numbers from 264 to 361. So yes,
there is life after bigger boats, and the Jerry's ever-perfect M15
provides quite a perfect life.
No, my e-mail address is not salacious, it just refers to my last
sailboat, "The Old Cat."
Check her out at <http://www.unicorn-systems.com/theoldcat.htm>
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats