Hi Hugh,

The M15 is a very ruggedly built and well thought out boat.

You have a lovely comfortable double berth in the forward end of the
cabin.

Of course, in a 15 footer, you won't find sitting headroom, but if you
sail alone, then remove the PortaPotti, put a cushion on the floor and
you have good seating.

You'll want a tiller extension - I made one and then modified it when I
made a second one.  This extension fitted over the tiller itself
(hollowed out on the underside for a good fit) and was held in place with
Velcro strips.  

This way you can sit all the way forward in the cockpit (and keep the
transom out of the water), which is how I like to sail.

>From another M15 owner in Florida I got the design of his 19" toolbox
galley and built one.  It contained everything you needed for cruising: 
knives, forks and spoons; a small water kettle, pot and pan; salad bowl;
wine glasses; cutting board; etc.

For a stove I used a propane one burner restaurant stove - all self
contained.  Cost about $25 when I found it.

Cooking was done in the cockpit, using the filler piece above the
PortaPotti as a work area at the back of the cockpit.

I also had a Bimini, as well as a tarp that could cover the cockpit if it
rained.

One thing I would recommend is that you put latches on the sail locker
lids to keep them closed in the event of a knockdown, and when you leave
the boat at a marina you can lock the latches with small padlocks (I had
three locks all keyed the same - sail locker locks and the companionway
lock).

The beauty of an M15 is that costs are almost $0.0, while the fun factor
is maximum.  You can't beat that!  It goes to windward at 70 MPH on an
Interstate, which gets you to good new cruising areas in a few hours
driving time.  Try doing that with your big boats...

Connie

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to