Arnold Sharpe  M-17 "LITTLE BREEZE" wrote:

"Can anyone out there in Montgomery land give me some opinion on the use 
of a "Boom Kicker"

Hi Arnold,

The Boomkicker can replace a topping lift.  Or, a topping lift can replace a 
Boomkicker.

Some people like chocolate.  Some like vanilla.

If you are a lake sailor and have to deal with light winds, a BK will keep the 
boom from bouncing around and allow you to "belly out" the main to catch all 
possible light breezes.  (Is there a proper nautical term for this?)  A TL 
tends to catch the top of the main and requires more frequent adjustments, IMHO.

If you dry sail, I think it is easier and faster to rig a BK than a TL.  I use 
a Clam Cleat "Dingy Vang and Trapeeze Cleat" to secure the horizontal line from 
the BK.  When sailing, I have this line tensioned as per the instructions on 
the BK website.  When I trailer, I loosen the line and fold the BK up so that 
is lays flat and bungee it to the mast.  When in the process of installing or 
removing the boom, I have some tension in the line but not as much as when 
sailing.  The BK sags a bit and supports the boom while I line up the gooseneck 
fitting in the mast slot.  I keep my main rolled on the boom so it is a little 
awkward to deal with.  If I launched once a year and had a berth, I probably 
would go with a TL.

Jerry says you have to have a vang to go fast.  It is easier for me to reach a 
vang to make an adjustment then to go to the mast.  Of course, I could run the 
TL back from the mast, but there really is not much room to do so on a 15 and 
that would increase my set-up and tear-down time.  With a berth and a 17 a TL 
would be my choice.

You have a good point about the mid-boom sheeting and vang.  You may want to 
try vang vs. no vang.  I saw an improvement with the vang.  With end boom 
sheeting there likely would be more of an improvement.

steve

Steve R.
M-15 #119
Lexington, KY


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to