Rich,

It is called a tautline hitch.

http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/tautlinehitch.htm

Tie one side first and slide it up snug to the tiller and then thier the other 
side as close to the tiller as you can.  You can then add tension by sliding 
either side away from the tiller.

Thanks

Doug Kelch

Rick Langer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Rich,  I'm afraid I don't know the name 
of the knot that Doug showed me, but 
it's an adjustable cinch knot that works well.   To tie it, loop the line 
over the tiller, make two complete turns of the bitter end over the standing 
line which forms a loop, then make one turn on the standing line on the 
inside of the loop.  Do the same with the other end of the remote steering 
line.  Cinch them tight and they should hold well.  As a side note, I've 
found that this knot works well when setting up a tent or fly.  It is much 
superior to those little metal or plastic cinchers that come with equipment. 
Any time you want to tighten a line this knot does the trick. I'm on my way 
(Saturday) to a cruise on Lake Champlain, so if Doug doesn't respond, let me 
know and I'll take a picture of mine while setup.

By the way, we refer to this as a remote steering system, not to be confused 
with the sheet to tiller self steering system.

Rick Langer
M15 #337 Bluebird


> Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 17:19:20 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Richard Cottrell 
> Subject: M_Boats: self steering line
> To: Montgomery Boats 
> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
>
> Hi Doug Kelch,
>
> Since installing your self-steering system on Really
> I've been sailing with Spinnaker up in heavier winds
> with good success while single handling.
>
> Question:  How do you attach the lines to the tiller?
> I've been using half hitches but they get loose and
> things can get a bit sloppy.
>
> Rich Cottrell
> 


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


       
---------------------------------
Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles.
Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to