Hi Blake,

I bought a 1991 M15 in June.  I have been trailering it to area lakes this 
summer in the hopes of recapturing and improving upon my childhood sailing 
skills, so that I can progress to Monterey Bay sailing. So far, I've made at 
least one outrageously stupid mistake on each trip that would probably have 
killed me if I was on the Bay.  I've been to Pinto Lake, Anderson Lake, Del 
Valle (where I couldn't sail because I'd forgotten the rudder!), and just 
yesterday Lake Cunningham in San Jose, where I adroitly avoided hitting any of 
the sailing school sunfishes (though I did crash into the dock).  I mostly 
tacked endlessly near the top of the lake, to be within shouting distance of my 
kids who were playing at Raging Waters.  It was kooky, but fun.

This Tuesday,  I plan to take my kids (and rudder) back to Del Valle, to 
celebrate the very last day of freedom before the Scotts Valley school year 
begins.  As far as I can tell, for the kids, the point of sailing on the boat 
is to be OFF the boat as much as possible--jumping into the water, swimming 
with float toys attached to the boat, exploring the shore, etc.  I might have 
three teenagers with me, so it'll be a bit crowded until I can get them off the 
boat, but then I'm hoping to investigate reefing the sail.  If I get ambitious, 
I'll bring an outboard along, and see if I can figure it out.  I'm not very 
ambitious, though--I find just trailering the boat with our funky, old, 
poorly-maintained Ford Econoline van, and backing the trailer into the water to 
be about all the challenge I can handle.

Sorry can't offer anything in the way of salty experience, but if you'd like to 
join us at Del Valle while we treat our precision sailing machine like a 
largish pool float toy, you're more than welcome to come.

Also, I've seen a Monty 15 or maybe 17 sitting in a driveway in Capitola.  
Talked to the guy's neighbor, but haven't been able to catch up with the owner. 
 To drive by, take the New Brighton beach exit, turn up...mmm... Kennedy, I 
think it is... the fourway stop sign that is on Park Avenue opposite the 
frontage road that has the entrance to New Brighton.  The boat is in the 
driveway of the house that is on the corner of the first road off of Kennedy to 
the left.  Perhaps, of course, this boat is yours?

Happy sailing,
grace



Blake Reimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Just a few weeks ago I purchased a 1985 
M 15 out of Washington and had it delivered sight unseen to Santa Cruz.  It has 
spent a lot of time in Alaska just prior to my purchase.  So far, I am 
delighted!  It looks like I will be naming her IOTA, provided it is not taken 
by another Monty.  I just sanded and oiled the teak yesterday and she smiled.
   
  I am working on getting her outfitted for the Monterey Bay waters: getting 
the jiffy reefing all in order, installing a Harken 205 cam and pedestal for 
the mainsheet and, of course, a long list of other items.  On two of those 
items, I could use some salty M-15 experience.
   
  - I know it is a GPS world now (yeah, I've got one too) but I really want a 
compass installed on board and notice most of the pictures I see don't have one 
installed.  Does any one have a compass and installation that they are really 
happy with?  I don't need anything fancy but would like something I can see in 
the cockpit without it getting in the way...
   
  - Oddly, my mainsail doesn't seem to have a cunningham eye on it.  There is 
plenty of belly cut into the sail, so I know it can use one.  Question: Is this 
normal on M -15's?  If so, do you flatten the sail by using the boom to tighten 
the luff?  If anyone could send me a picture of how they have the whole 
mast/boom/cunningham/vang area successfully set up, it would be a great help. 
In the meantime I think I will have a cunningham eyelet put in the main.
   
  I am interested in possibly getting together on any outings here in N. Cal. 
area.  Anybody else?
   
  Blake
   
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


       
---------------------------------
Shape Yahoo! in your own image.  Join our Network Research Panel today!
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to