Bob Eeg recommended the installation of seacocks for the cockpit drains on
my M17 so that a heavy passenger load would not cause the sailboat to take
on some water... I'll put that theory to the test at Lake Havasu next month!


Steven Turk
M17 Dingo
Southern Utah

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rick
Langer
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 11:50 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: M_Boats: Crew Capacity...

Lou,

I haven't notice water entering the cockpit when weight is added to an M15. 
When on a cruise in Maine I had 4 guys (probably 750 pounds) and a lot of 
extra weight do to cruising supplies.  I saw a picture of us leaving the 
anchorage and the boat was really squatting, but no water in the cockpit. 
On the return to the anchorage we had more than 20 pounds of lobster, still 
no water.

I remember the trip Frank mentioned in "Seas the Day" and I don't remember 
any water that day either.  I do remember 4 or 5 of us sitting in the 
cockpit of an M17 and taking on a lot of water, not only in the cockpit but 
also in the cabin.  I'm not sure, but I think that's because the scuppers 
are at the transom and all that weight just put them below the waterline.

I do take on water in the cockpit when beating hard, but it's not 
substantial and leaves the same way it comes in. However, sometimes a small 
amount manages to find it's way into the bilge.  I guess adding more weight 
would cause more water to come into the cockpit, but I would consider it a 
non issue.

Rick
M15 #337 Bluebird


> Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 22:25:45 -0500
> From: "Louis Aliotta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: M_Boats: Crew Capacity...
> To: <[email protected]>
> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Has anyone had any experience with 3 crew members on the M15.  I would 
> like to take 3 people out but I am not that familiar with what I might 
> experience.  2 people are around 170lbs each and one is about 230lbs.  If 
> I keep the heavier person in the center and balance out myself and the 
> other  person would I be alright?  One of my concerns is the water that 
> enters the cockpit at times when extra weight is added.
> Please let me know if anyone has experience or advice about this.   Lou
>


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to