Okay.  Last note for awhile on the compression post problem I have.  Bob Eeg
generously spoke with me about the compression post.  I'll try to pass on
some of what he said:
        1) No need to bed the base of the lower post with 5200.  Rather, he
encouraged making a "dough nut" around the base with cloth and resin after
sanding my liner to help it stick.  The main idea being not to let the base
of the post slide out of place.
        2) They raise the berth liner a bit with a jack and let it back down
on the post to hold it, and I think he said to add a screw or bolt through
to the post cap.
        3) Bolt down the lower cap of the upper compression post, and
arrange another dough nut, of wood, around the top of the post, maybe even
letting the post into the wood block under the mast base, inside the cabin.
He said 5200 could be used at the top.  I assume a jack could be carefully
used in that process too.
        The main thing he conveyed, as did Bill I believe, is that the posts
need to be kept from sliding out of place so they can do their job of taking
the vertical load.  He uses aluminum posts (I think he said) on the new M
boats cut from stock used on Cat 24's, that he gets from Garhauer.  I didn't
ask if they were tubular, or spar stock.
        He also talked with me about putting oarlocks on my M17 with the
aluminum toerail, since there can be no genoa track along the edge of the
deck with those toerails.  He suggested mocking up wood blocks for position
and height, then having aluminum blocks manufactured as with Strawanza, then
bolting them on through the deck for use.
        Bob, if you read this I hope I have passed this along accurately.
And thanks again for your time.    David Patterson


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to