Jeff, 
 
That's correct. I worked with the sandblaster so that I knew exactly when  
the swing keel came out of the sandblasting building. I already had the paint  
mixed at home and everything waiting for me. We loaded up the keel and got it  
home in about 10 minutes. I blew it off and then immediately coated it with a  
coat of 2000 E epoxy barrier coat (per Interlux's instructions). After that,  
time was not an issue. I then used VC Watertight epoxy filler to fill and 
fair  all the pits. Any time I exposed bare metal while fairing I coated it 
with 
2000  E as soon as I was done fairing for the day so it would not rust. After 
all the  filling and fairing was done I gave her 5 coats of 2000 E and then a 
light  sanding through the first coat or two to smooth it out. So far we've 
made it  through 2 seasons without a trace of rust except a spot where I 
"kissed" a rock  going through some unexpectedly shallow water. That knocked 
about a 
fingernail  size piece of filler off the leading edge of the swing keel and 
exposed  some cast iron. It is showing some minor rust staining there but I'm 
going to  let it go another season before hauling the boat with a crane again 
(I 
hope!)  and touching that up.
 
Danelle,
 
Yes, I did use Peel-A-Way. I found it was very temperature dependant and  did 
not work nearly as well when it was cool out. Was it better than  
sanding..probably, because there was no dust...but it was no picnic.  
Unfortunately, that 
lapstrake hull that we all love so dearly makes stripping  the bottom and 
incredible amount of work. It's worth it in the end,  though.
 
Keep the faith!!!
 
Sean
M23 Dauntless
_www.havasumontgomerys.piczo.com_ (http://www.havasumontgomerys.piczo.com) 



**************It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & 
Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to