Yeah, what Dave said too :)

- Stevan

On Jul 14, 2010, at 11:22 PM, Dave Rolsky wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Sam Vilain wrote:

I was catching up on the mailing list yesterday, and while I was not
surprised by the comment that the MooseX:: namespace should only be for
modules that extend Moose, I was surprised that MooseX::DataMapper -
despite being an extension specific to Moose classes, and despite being
a primarily trait-based API - did not meet the criteria.

Perhaps someone has some thoughts on where the line should be drawn; for
the above I would have thought it was a Moose extension.

This is tough to answer, but here's my take ...

If a module is primarily focused on Moose itself, and adding some feature to it, it's likely to be a MooseX.

If a module extends Moose, but primarily to add features relevant to some other domain, like Fey::ORM or Kioku, it's not a MooseX.

If a module could conceivably be part of the core, it's probably a MooseX.

If there's no way in hell a module could be part of the core (like PRANG), it's probably not a MooseX.

If the module plugs into Moose, it might be a MooseX.

If the module layers on top of Moose (again, like Fey::ORM), it's probably not a MooseX.

So MX::DataMapper is ...

A module which is primarily about another domain (ORMs and databases), it could never be part of core, and it adds a layer on top of Moose. Not a MooseX.

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)