codebender...
I just ran into this issue today (well i saw it happening but ignored it for
a little while but decided to look into it today).
The reason this is occurring is because in the mootools framework(core) it
defines it defines a function off of document called id.. open up your core
file and search for "id:(function()" you will notice that it is grouped by
several other handy sounding functions.. it just a shortcut to
document.getElementById..
So why does .net get tangled up in this? because when a click event occurs
anywhere on the page, .net is enumerating elements looking for particular
ones in a list it keeps... and it looks at element.id (as you would expect
to look for an id of an element) and then calling the string function
startsWith to match values in its list. .net does this for postback
information.. not sure exactly but probably something to do with validation.
So what do you do? I have a somewhat "modified" version of mootools.. which
makes it more difficult to upgrade to more recent versions.. so I just
renamed the function id to byid and did a !!CAREFUL!! search and replace
throughout the mootools lib and plugins.. And then added a note with the
rest of the notes about the changes I made to the top of my mootools Core
lib.

I don't know if this is something that you would want to do.. I'm sure a lot
of people would scoff at what I have done, but it works for me. And until
mootools does something about this - that's the way it going to be.

Hope this helps
jared