I placed an alert before the code that just displays the word "loaded".

In FF/Chrome, before the page is done loading a js alert pops open with the
word "loaded" and will load the rest of the page THEN the Compat Inspector
after "OK" is clicked.

In IE 7-10, before the page is done loading a js alert pops open with the
word "loaded" and then does everything BUT load the Compat Inspector after
"OK" is clicked.

Overstatement or no, I've spent way too much time on this, already, and
just for a compatibility tester that (admittedly) would be nice to have,
but isn't mission-critical.  Yes, my personal curiosity is piqued, but I'm
not wasting any more time with it.. hours that I will never get back.

If you want to pursue it further, I understand, and thanks for your time.
But I'm moving on to the next project.

JD

--

---