You can also add magic posters to that, Freeman.
The market has plotzed.
Andrea
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 8:03 PM
Subject: [MOPO] Where have all the sellers gone, long time passing

Bruce And Moposters,

    Obviously these are grey days in the collectibles market on Ebay.  Notice I didn't say just movie posters because I am noticing precipitous drops with other collectibles that I watch closely due to having a  passing interest  (tin robots, Chein tin toys, futura pattern Roseville Pottery,  vintage Schuco motorized planes, boats and wind up cars, regional walking sticks made from the penises of large animals,  Disneyana, and WWI  Militaria.  Actually,  the least impacted seems to be Roseville Pottery.
    It is to me,  the Economy, first and foremost.  A malaise has persisted seemingly for two years fueled by a combination of apprehension to let money  slip by free wheeling  for what are luxuries, basically non-essentials  we clump together and call collectibles combined with actual realities  of job loss, inflation,  health care and the like.   But certainly second has to be Ebay itself for both buyers and sellers but not for the same reasons.
    Buyers, if new, are terribly intimidated by the labyrinth of indifference when a purchase goes sour.  And sour seems to be all to frequent of after taste.
    For sellers though,  all one need do is read the Ebay posting sites and the sheer volume of malcontents is staggering.  The complete lack of seller support and administrative access is outrageous.   And sellers are bailing opting for group websites, catalogues and direct mail pieces.   Therefore less desireable inventory and thus becomes a near firesale mentality for the more plentiful  pieces  that used to command at least double  less than 15 months ago.
    So surviving is all about personal service, communication,  and a positive history of business  which is how galleries survive.   The barnstroming Ebay Days are kaput if you ask me since no one is having fun anymore.

freeman fisher
Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com