Title: Re: [MOPO] buying outside the box
There sure has been a lot of discussion here of prices realized in Bruce's recent auctions.  As seems to happen repeatedly, 'knowledgeable' mailing list members question the sanity, the intelligence, or the thoroughness of
people who choose to bid and win items through Bruce at prices that are higher than one might find simultaneously through ebay or online dealers.  Of course this tends to apply to more readily available, and therefore newer, posters.

And so, we get semi-sarcastic emails like this one from JR, and other helpful 'suggestions'.  By the way, JR, who is your email addressed to?  Don't you think everyone on the mailing list would know this already?  Or are you just showing off?  (Sorry for being a bit snarky.)

But I digress.  The point is, there are very understandable reasons why people stick with Bruce, even though they may be paying more than they might find an identical piece for elsewhere.

First, there's the reliability factor.  This has been discussed ad nauseum.  Bruce's operation is generally highly reliable at each stage of the sale, and people appreciate this; they look to him to provide a specific level of service.  This used to be called 'brand loyalty'; anyone remember this concept?  It once made sense with things like cars and refrigerators, before these companies started being bought and sold wholesale.  It still works with posters, though.

Second, there's the convenience factor.  Bruce has a great gallery, beautifully organized, big pictures available, on a fast server.  He will suggest that it's difficult to look through all his poster offerings, but in fact it's unbelievably easy, even when it's a thousand or more pieces. (As long as you have a broadband connection!)  And I have to say that SOME dealers websites are not all that technically proficient.  In fact the word 'primitive' comes to mind.

Third, in auctions like these, it is VERY hard to know exactly where a price will land until the auction is actually over.  Often, a price will hover at a rather low level (lower than a typical dealer, anyway) until the final seconds.  And often, I think, two bidders will place unusually high last second bids (or auto-snipes) with the thought that they will probably get it for less.  I am sure that they are often shocked themselves at what they wind up paying!

Finally, I think it's a mistake to assume that members of the Bruce Buyers Brigade don't know or suspect that they might find their choices elsewhere for less.  If they waited.  Or spent TIME searching websites.  Or sending emails.  Or making phone calls.  Or whatever.  Perhaps many people have other things to do?  Things that Bruce's 'one-stop shopping' allows them to do?

Oh, in case you think I'm one of these people I'm describing, well, I'm not.  I used to be, though!  These days, I always check out Bruce's auctions, but I also buy much material from favorite as well as random ebay sellers, auction houses, dealers, and private sales.  I've bought from many of you.  Pretty much everyone all the time!  What's the Harrod's _expression_?  Omnia, Omnibus, Ubique. Something like that.  On the other hand, perhaps that means that I have no life.

Although Bruce will say it's impossible, I still think there are people out there, maybe even on this mailing list, with the resources and intelligence to replicate his successful formula.  It's not copyrighted!  But you haven't, so far.  Why is that?

Randy Petersen