From: JRS
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 5:26 PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Fwd: MOPO regarding finding NEMO reprints on ebay

Bill,

Such a thing isn't quite as cut-and-dried as you seem to think. Very few of the dealers who sell repros ONLY sell repros. They usually sell mostly original posters, with some repros mixed in. This can make them very difficult to identify. Some will sell a  repro by genuine accident, as many of the reprints are quite good and can easily slip by even an experienced seller unless he decides to examine it under a microscope or take precise measurements -- something just not worth doing for most of these posters, which will only go for $5 to $20 at auction, after all.

A big part of the problem is, as you can see by looking at a web site like www.moviegoods.com, is that there have been full-size or very near-full-size reproductions made of an awful lot of posters -- most particularly posters from the last 10 to 15 years. As far as I can tell, every movie that was even moderately popular for the past 10 or 15 years has had reproductions made of it.

This is why you see people recommending you buy the newer stuff from a MOPO dealer or some other seller who has at least made some commitment to the community by participating in this list, or MPT or some other forum. First, such people tend to be more concerned about their goods and their reputation than many eBay sellers and they also tend to be very experienced, which helps them weed out at least most of the repros that come their way. But not all list sellers may fit this bill -- quite a few just run an ad through every few days and never say anything else except "check out my auctions" -- most of those people are just using the lists an advertising venue and I doubt that most of them even bother to read the other posts on the list. So, how much they would be worried about a fellow MOPO member getting stuck with a repro is problematic.

While it's not the easy, quick-fix answer you seem to be seeking -- the best thing to do is ask around and get recommendations, make some notes yourself, educate yourself with sites like the MPT site (you'll find a clickable banner ad for it on www.MoviePosterBid.com) and try to strike up a relationship with some dealers who care and are experienced enough to know a repro most of the time when they see it and are likely to do right by you.

But if you can identify some seriously, habitual offenders, by all means feel free to create such a list yourself and publish it.. But just be aware that the moment you do, there will be people who write in and say "Hey, wait a minute, I bought an X-MEN advance from that guy and it was fine"... or  "I've always been very happy with the posters I received from Harry's Rumba and Poster Emporium on eBay, what are you talking about?"

It's also worth nothing that we do try to monitor the auctions on www.MoviePosterBid.com as closely as we can and generally have sellers on the auction site who are committed to doing right by their customers, so I would say stand a better chance of getting an true original on MPB that you will on eBay. But there are no guarantees.

-- JR