David - Simple -  AOL is a monster pain in the arse for many people.
They regularly block mail from other ISPs, standard practice it seems.

As sellers on eBay we regularly have to go through a nightmare simply
sending an email invoice or other communication to AOL users.

We are about to make a change to our sales pages on eBay (as many
sellers already have done) saying that if you are on AOL you will be
sent an email bill at end of auction. If you don't get it, then blame
AOL and not us. If you contact us and you are on AOL it means we will
get your message but it's highly likely you will not get our response.

If we do an ID check on you through eBay it means we are trying to
contact you but your ISP is blocking mail for some reason (and SPAM
isn't it.. think more like trying to get everybody to switch to AOL is
more likely).

I know many people use AOL and are happy with it and never have a
problem. I'm really pleased to hear that, but I also know many other
people who have on-going problems that have cost them business and
credibility with buyers.

AOL stands for AMERICA ON LINE, right? From what I can see there's a way
to go there in the name and the service they claim to provide. We use
two ISPs and I also have both Hotmail and Google mail accounts as
back-ups. There have been times when I have tried to send a message to
an AOL user and all four have been bounced. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Regards,
Phil

David Kusumoto wrote:

This has likely been explained before, but what's the deal -- one year
later
-- with e-mails TO users of AOL?  I know there was an issue with super
aggressive spam filters at AOL -- (and my Hotmail account has VASTLY
improved now that Microsoft has instsalled its own filters; I only get 2
junk e-mails per day on average).

But I've sent a slew of notes to friends all over the place, including to
the UK -- and I get bounce-backs or notices that my missives have been
"delayed" by AOL.  What's exasperating is replies I've been getting are
having
a "fight" with an AOL user in the UK about "WOTW" (heh-heh) -- and he's
replying to stuff I wrote two days ago, and the time stamps show he's
replying to mails JUST received.  Crazy!

-koose.