I’ve had to pass on posters that I really wanted before for the same reason.  It’s especially painful when it’s something that you’ve been looking for a long time.  But, the price of these lobby cards definitely warrants more detailed pictures at a minimum.  His description is lacking as well.  If someone advertises in this way and is unwilling to consider returns, I immediately start to think that he is hiding something.

I’d say pass.

Bill

From: MoPo List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Walter Reuben
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 5:26 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] What to do?

hello all

A seller by the name of mmm3ms has a considerable number of very interesting lobby cards for sale on ebay.

One of them is a full lobby set for Double Indemnity:

I wrote to him and explained that the photos were very dim.  I went on to say that I am a very serious buyer and let him reference my ebay feedback.  I asked if his materials are returnable if they are not satisfactory.   Since the photos are of poor quality, I thought this was a reasonable thing to ask.

He replied that no returns would be allowed since that "would not be fair to the other bidders."

To me, this attitude is a major turn off.  If I am going to contemplate spending 2 or 3 thousand with a seller, I am very much concerned that he is going to be fair to me if I am unhappy for any reason at all.

When I sell posters, either on my website or on ebay, I always allow returns within a week of receipt for any reason whatsoever.  I do not much like being told in advance by a seller that items are not returnable.  Especially since I very rarely need to make a return.

What do you think?

Walter Reuben

Walter Reuben, Inc.

500 North Harper Avenue