Hi JR.,
<<<< What if the back of the poster gets exposed to some moisture, even damp air? Wouldn't the poster then stick to the foam backing if it was in a frame with foam backing? >>>>

This is a very good question. I will do some tests and have some answers in a few weeks, promise!!

<<<<No danger of the starch drying out, becoming brittle over time and starting to come off the back of the poster in small flakes? >>>>

I would say no danger. The layer is so thin, you don't know it's there.

<<<<since the fold lines are weakened by the wetting from the cleaning and deacidification, then stretched and dried while stretched to remove the wrinkles... but there is no linen glued to the back of the poster to "hold the poster together" -- doesn't this mean the fold lines could potentially start separating at some later date, almost "on their own?" >>>>

Only time could tell. I don't believe this technique is as old and tried and tested like Linen Backing.

There are pros and cons to this starch backing technique.
pros: you can clean/wash de acidify your poster and get the folds out, small paper loss and tearing can be mended. without any backing.

Cons: we/I don't know enough of the long term effect of your poster. This Hollytex thing started as a submerge tool. I.E.. when extremely fragile and possible torn art work needed to be submerge for cleaning and other water treatments, Hollytex was applied as a temporary backing to hold the paper together, yes glue was used at some cases, very effective. and after, naturally the poster went down on linen. I know there are definitely weakening in the fiber and folds will be more fragile, no question about that.
This is good for posters that are in tip top shape and not recommended for posters in weak condition.

Best,
Dario.

JR wrote:
Dario,

Thanks. I think I get it now. The Holytex serves as a temporary backing while the poster dries out and the wrinkles go away, then it is removed. I'm amazed that the layer of starch paste which stays behind on the back of the poster can't be felt and is pliable enough for the poster to be rolled. No danger of the starch drying out, becoming brittle over time and starting to come off the back of the poster in small flakes? What if the back of the poster gets exposed to some moisture, even damp air? Wouldn't the poster then stick to the foam backing if it was in a frame with foam backing?

I'm not trying to rain on any parades, but this new technique seems to bring up a whole bunch of new considerations. And, since the fold lines are weakened by the wetting from the cleaning and deacidification, then stretched and dried while stretched to remove the wrinkles... but there is no linen glued to the back of the poster to "hold the poster together" -- doesn't this mean the fold lines could potentially start separating at some later date, almost "on their own?"

I am opposed to linen-backing posters that don't need it, but I'm wondering if starch-backing isn't going to cause more problems than it solves long term?

-- JR