David and Scott,

David, I took your line "OK, so what I wanna know is -- how many people on this
list are gay?  Come on, fess up"

...to be half in jest as you say, but I was afraid too many would take its
seriously and we would quickly end up with a wild fire on our hands... a way
off-topic discussion about gayness and all of its ramifications (which fills up
hundreds of other lists and never gets resolved anyway). That's what I was
concerned about.

Scott, see above. I wasn't protesting the discussion of BROKEBACK as a movie,
but what I saw as an emerging trend to veer away from discussing the movie and
get into the much more personal and sociologically dangerous quagmire of
discussing Viet Nam... I mean gayhood...

The question of discussing movies has always been a bit of a juggling act we
engage in on MoPo, or so it seems to me. We all know there are hundreds of other
lists devoted to discussing movies and that movies can be discussed endlessly,
so there seems to be a reluctance to get into it too deeply on MOPO. I mean, if
we simply decide that all movie discussion all the time is cool, then MOPO ends
up a movie discussion list and not a movie poster discussion list, don't you
think?

So, utilizing a primitive cyberspace form of the instinct of self-preservation,
what this list has seemed to do over the years is occasionally drift into a
heavy movie discussion on a particularly topical film, but then some people
start popping up with posts like "hey, isn't this supposed to be a movie poster
forum?" and we go back to our sedentary ways, with the list filled up with
mostly auction ads. Sadly, we don't seem to discuss posters all that much. I
think this is because those who currently want to talk about movie posters seem
to prefer the bulletin board format (why, I'll never know).

So, I don't think there's any pat answer, but MOPO chugs along. It all seems to
work... sorta...

-- JR