Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 1:16 PM
Subject: [MOPO] Brokeback Mormons

The ongoing thread of the Utah megaplex reneging a contract showing of
Brokeback Mountain offers a window of understanding into my previous
Brokeback post.  During the 1950's the Mormons, full title, The Church Of
Jesus Christ Of The Latter-Day Saints, began a systematic recruitment in the
west.  The aim was world wide but the selection at the time was to expand
into western states.  The Mormons are, from my experience,  a repressive
conservative Christian cult and homosexuality in NOT tolerated in any form
or representation.  While watching Bareback Mountain the thought crossed my
mind the movie was turning into a Mormon story.  Let me offer a first person
history.  A close friend, who was from Utah, described a 1960's family
horror when he was outed to his parents by an anonymous phone call.  The
morning call resulted in a confrontation between son and parents to the
point by the afternoon he was told to leave home.  With what he could carry
he was told to leave and never return.  He was a homosexual and had deceived
his parents, defiling his Mormon home.  At the door his mother told him his
sins were unredeemable and as far as she was concerned he was dead.  His
father blankly agreed.  He never saw his parents again.  He was 17 years old

  I can speak with a background because my parents, like many others at the
time, were attracted to the family based umbrella of LDS doctrine, and went
through a lengthy process of indoctrination education.  My family dumped the
idea of putting on horse blinders and joining a false front church.  My
input was I thought the Mormons were nuts.  We read the Book Of Mormon and
my observation was it was an 1830 low brow science fiction.

  I understand the head honcho at the Jordan Crossing Megaplex refusing to
play Brokeback Mountain.  It would be sinful for a good Mormon or Mormon
business to allow the movie to be shown.  It would be inexcusable to allow
ANYONE to view and perhaps be influenced by this film with an underlining
gay theme already being called a classic.

So Woo Hoo to you western dudes everywhere and to you country Ladies and
backslid Mormons ------get your butts to Bareback Mountain!

Danny Steward / Seattle