I’ve never liked Reserve auctions and typically avoid them.  The seller is typically fishing for a price and I’m not willing to play in that game.  If it’s an item that I really covet; I may make a stab at a percentage of my top dollar amount.  Occasionally, the reserve is not very high and I’ve opened up an auction at an price are where I still have room to move.  My preference is to see a high opening bid instead of the reserve so that we know what the seller is looking for.  I’ve purchased many posters with high opening bids and buy it nows because it was something I wanted and the price was in my ballpark.

Bill

From: MoPo List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Claude Litton
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 10:17 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: [MOPO] Chasing reserve prices on ebay

   I have noticed that most sellers do not use reserves any longer and either start low or at the price they want for the poster.

I personally do not bid in reserve auctions any longer as I feel they are a waste of time and just help the seller to obtain as high a bid as possible and then the seller sees who bid and has an opportunity to sell it privately and avoid ebay commissions.

I do not even bid low but just track the ones I am interested in to see what the ultimate disposition is.  My question to collectors----Do you feel the same way or do you continue to chase reserves?

CJL