Hi, Scott, Michael, et. al., from Joe B.

In the 1940s and early 1950s the most famous "name" in "journalism" (of a sort) was Walter Winchell.  I defiy you to find ANYone in this country under the age of 50 who know who he was or what his significance is in "journalistic" history!

Joe B.

Scott Burns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Being young is no excuse for having no knowledge of the world that preceded
you. History teachers must be crying in their beer. :)

I wasn't alive in 1941 but I know about Pearl Harbor, the War in Europe--and
that "Citizen Kane," "The Maltese Falcon," "Hold That Ghost, "Suspicion,"
"Sergeant York," "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" and "Babes on Broadway" were
released that year. (Those are black and white movies for those of you who
don't recognize the titles). Even when I was 20 years old, I was aware of
what came before me.

It's disheartening to think that someone who was so incredibly famous at one
point in time can be completely unknown in just a generation. To quote
George C. Scott, quoting General George S. Patton: "all glory is fleeting."
So is fame, sadly.

Maybe some of these "youngsters" need to play a little more Trivial
Pursuit--or pay attention in history class.

Sorry for the rant, but this is a topic that just drives me up a wall. I
guess, I'm "getting old" as Michael B put it. :)

My 2 cents!
Scott
MoPo List Owner