Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 1:03
Subject: Re: [MOPO] EBAY AND EXCESSIVE SHIPPING CHARGES

As (mostly) a buyer on ebay and other sites, I have, on many occasions and more than once on this posting site, decried exactly the same problems noted by ebay.

Sellers state that shipping and handling costs are the responsibility of the buyer. I regularly receive parcels on which the postal cost is much less than I have been charged and the materials are recycled, plus in the last year or so, many more sellers demand that insurance payment be made but there is no way to verify that it actually was bought by the seller. I'd bet many big volume sellers, such as for autographs and dvds, etc., don't buy insurance and "self-insure" by pocketing the proceeds of $1.30 per $100 over and over to do so.

Many sellers, mostly those who sell dvds and the like, refuse to initiate socalled discounts for multiple buys to bolster revenue even though ALL shipping is based on weight and volume classifications, so several items can often be shipped in one class - meaning there really is no discount but properly a number of items can be sent for set prices.

The position I maintain is that these funds are NOT profit centres for sellers, nor an extra way to defray paypal or any other payment processing charges; these funds are sent to the seller so the seller can send the item to me; in effect these funds are held in trust for the buyer for the purpose of shipping only and they should be accurately estimated. Now with oil prices being so high, fuel surcharges are made - in Canada they are about 10% of the postage and couriers charge this too. Since oil is unlikely to get cheaper, actual costs will only go up. So a buyer doesn't want to pay more than necessary.

More than an effort to subvert the market place by avoiding fees and only apparently lowering the "price" of the item, the sellers who extract extra money are breaking trust with the buyer and should be made pariahs. Good for ebay, it's about time - whatever the motivation, the result might be of benefit to buyers.

Craig, Vancouver